Vaping on increase, carries risk

Nick Hong, Staff Writer

Vaping is becoming increasingly popular among students because it is perceived as less dangerous than smoking traditional cigarettes; however, the practice contains many harmful chemicals that can affect the body.

Similar to smoking, vaping is inhaling and exhaling a mix of tobacco and water vapor with an electronic cigarette or  “pen.”  Like smoking cigarettes, vaping is illegal for minors.

According to the University of Michigan’s 2014 study, 17 percent of high school students vape.

Many teachers believe that vaping is dangerous.

“Vaping puts you in a bad state of mind, and is very addicting,” health teacher Kristen Morcone said.

The water vapor contains nicotine which makes it extremely addictive. Once exhaled the vapor produces high levels of carbon monoxide.

Morcone believes that because vaping is relatively new, students may not fully understand its detriments.

“Not many parents know about vaping, so they don’t lecture it on their kids as much as smoking cigarettes,” Morcone said. “I didn’t know about it [vaping] until this school year started. It was brought up by my colleagues and a lot of my students ask about it. This is definitely an issue that I will start bringing up in my classes.”

Resource Officer Jeremy Trefry has encountered students vaping.

“I’ve caught kids doing it in the locker room, and even in a classroom,” Trefry said.

The student handbook states, “Use of tobacco/nicotine products is not only a health issue for the user, but also for everyone around them because of the issue of secondhand smoke. You may not smoke, or use tobacco/nicotine or carry tobacco/nicotine paraphernalia, anywhere, anytime on school grounds [including vehicles] or at any school-sponsored activity.”

The school’s penalties for students that break the rules include detentions, suspensions, and even fines.

Although many agree that vaping is bad, some students disagree and say that it is a better alternative to cigarettes. Some students use vaping in a social aspect.

“I’ve been vaping since I was 12, and I have had no problems,” an anonymous sophomore said. “All of my friends do it, and we’re all fine; it’s a lot better than smoking cigarettes.”

“Vaping is definitely a better alternative than smoking; it is a lot less odorous and does not seem as bad as cigarettes in the long run,” an anonymous senior said. “I don’t see a problem with it, people have the right to do what they want to do with their lives.”

However, according to the National Center for Health Research’s 2015 study, vaping is a new trend that has not been around long enough to determine if there is any harmful effects.