From 1965 to 2015: A happy, healthy legacy for Loughlin

After 21 years of teaching, applied arts teacher Candace Loughlin is enjoying her final days in her cooking classroom.

Isabella Masciarelli

Emily Smith, Staff Writer

Applied Arts teacher Candace Loughlin will retire this June after being a loved member of the Algonquin community since she graduated from the school in 1969.

“I never tire of walking by that Early Childhood classroom and seeing the connection she has with the current Algonquin students and the future Algonquin students,” Assistant Principal Paul DiDomenico said.

Loughlin was a National Honors Society advisor, former class advisor, and has taught Culinary Arts and Early Childhood Development classes for twenty-one years since she returned to Algonquin to teach in 1994.

“It’s been a wonderful experience with my students, colleagues, and of course the Tiny Tomahawks,” Loughlin said.  “I’ve been very fortunate to have this position.”

Early Childhood Development provides a real world situation in allowing the students to work with preschoolers, and Loughlin is passionate about helping the students through it.  The program also provides kids ages three to five with a preschool experience they may not be able to attend otherwise.

Loughlin’s students will be sad to see her go, as will the Tiny Tomahawks.

“Mrs. Loughlin is really nice and happy to us, unless she has her grumpy face on, then you have to be really good and listen to her,” a child in the Tiny Tomahawks program said.

“I loved having Mrs. Loughlin as a teacher because she is such a caring person and I learned skills I can actually apply to my life daily,” sophomore Maddie Cave said.

Loughlin says she has enjoyed her time at Algonquin extensively, but is also optimistic about exploring the possibilities of retirement.

“I plan to spend more time with my family and husband, and sleep a little later,” Loughlin said with a smile.  “I also want to discover new things or resume things I’ve had to put on hold.”

During her years at Algonquin, Loughlin has created many unforgettable relationships with her colleagues and students.

“Now I’ll have the seat at the head of the table for lunch, finally, and I’ll also inherit a nice kitchen,” Economics teacher Nicole Ruffo said lightheartedly.  “It’s hard since we were college roommates–that’s a joke we weren’t actually, but it will still be sad to see her go.  It’s really time for her to spread her wings and act independently.”

“She has affected generations of students in this community with her positivity,” DiDomenico said.

Loughlin wants all her students to remember that she cares very much about each and every one of them.

“To the Algonquin community, I want to say thank you for being such a big part of my life for twenty-one years,” Loughlin said.  “I will miss the students and my friends, and I will always be proud to have been a small part of ARHS.”

Word Count: 454