What are you most excited for this summer?

$1541
$2000

Q&A: Girls’ rugby captain reflects on team’s growth, camaraderie

Laura White
Senior Eleni Chacharone tries to escape a Belmont player’s grasp during their on May 22. The team is entering the state tournament as the number two seed.

The girls’ rugby team has achieved astounding success with a winning record of 5-1 going into the playoffs.  Led by senior captain Grace Herdman and junior captain Gaby Lomuto, this is the first year that the team has included players from Westborough High School and Shrewsbury High School. Lomuto spoke about this adjustment and strong bonds that formed throughout the season.

How did the season go overall?

“I think that we have greatly improved since last season… The discipline and everything that everyone’s been showing is just incredible, and everyone’s coming to practice ready to go every day.”

What was a highlight of the season?

“Each individual person has had a moment where rugby has clicked for them, and it’s really satisfying to see that.”

Who are some of your key players? What players especially stepped up this year?

“I think that [junior] Niamh McLaughin really stepped up. She’s just been ready to go each day. There’s all these new girls from other towns because we combined with Westborough and Shrewsbury who have really excelled and shown a lot of great improvements.”

What is your team dynamic like?

“Over the season, especially considering past years, we really bonded well. We have done a lot of activities together and a lot of fundraisers. We did a carwash, we did a can drive, a bake sale, we did a sleepover, everybody really just gets along very well this year.”

What are some challenges that you’ve had to overcome?

“There’s been a lot of things that we needed to work on and still do, everyone is definitely showing an effort and wants to improve which is the main thing and the best part.” 

What’s coming up for the team for next year?

“We definitely want to make more of an effort to advertise the team and expand it as well. We have a good squad but a small squad, and we want to recruit newcomers as much as we can.”