What are you most excited for this summer?

$1541
$2000

Senior Reflection: A small high school called Algonquin

Submitted Sophie Hjerpe

I never thought the day would come. My time at Algonquin has been filled with endless amounts of memories that I will cherish for the rest of my life. From the countless volleyball and basketball games I’ve played in the gym to all the friendships I’ve made along the way, all holding a special place in my heart. Reflecting on my four years here is not an easy task. I started as a nervous freshman walking in on the first day of school not knowing what to expect and now I’m a senior leaving for college in close to three months. I am so lucky to have gone to a high school full of amazing teachers and students that I can genuinely say I will never forget.

As I take a step back and reflect on my time spent here, I can confidently say I’ve learned some valuable things. Firstly, life is too short to care about what others think of you. I know this is definitely a lot easier said than done. Almost everyone is afraid of being judged for the way they act or dress, but in reality, no one cares. This is advice I wish I could have heard myself in my earlier years of high school. I used to get so caught up with what other people thought of me, but as I continued through high school, I realized that it takes more effort to care rather than to just be myself. 

I would also tell everyone to put yourself out there and get involved! Algonquin offers a wide variety of sports teams, performing arts and clubs that are available for everyone. I have personally spent the majority of my time involved in Algonquin’s athletics. One of my greatest achievements in high school was making it to the Final Four of the girls’ volleyball State Playoffs my senior year. I can’t even put into words the sense of accomplishment and success that could never be replaced in any other aspect of life. 

Finally, I would tell everyone to cherish your time and enjoy it. Everyone always says how high school is the fastest four years of your life but personally, I didn’t realize that until it became true. High school is more than assignments and tests. It’s about balance. Yes, schoolwork is important but it’s also about enjoying your time here and not stressing every second of the day. Go to that football game and spend time with the people you care about. 

As we all part our separate ways into the real world, I think it’s important to pause for a moment. We are always looking forward to the next thing. Soon, our time here will only become a memory. A memory of a small high school called Algonquin.