What are you most excited for this summer?

$1541
$2000

Senior Reflection: Slow down, you’re doing fine

Senior Reflection: Slow down, youre doing fine
Submitted Ava “Cam” Arcona

After years of looking forward to my senior reflection, the blank page in front of me suddenly seems daunting. How do I quantify the past four years of my life in just 500 words? A seemingly impossible task, but if I’ve learned one thing in high school, it’s to fake it till you make it. Also, that 11:59 p.m.is not always a hard deadline. 

I always thought I would be able to offer some life-changing advice to underclassmen based on my own high school experience, but the more time went on, the more I realized that nobody has figured it out. I’m not going to say that I wouldn’t change a thing about my high school experience; truthfully, I have plenty of regrets r.e. centering my entire existence around academics (cough cough, junior year). Pro tip: School will be there tomorrow, while a late night trip to Wendy’s will not. When given the opportunity, choose fun. If there is no fun to be had, choose a healthy sleep schedule over an all-night cram session.

For each regret, though, there are a thousand unforgettable moments that I truly wouldn’t trade for the world. Each bus ride sing-along with my volleyball team, early morning grind session with friends and cafeteria study escapade (sorry, Mrs. Brown!) balanced out the everyday stress of maintaining my status as an academic weapon. If you’re anything like me, you’ll experience burnout after burnout until you finally decide to ditch the sources of unnecessary stress. This is your sign to relax. Hard work is only effective when the level of effort can be maintained without inducing crippling feelings of anxiety.

The best advice I can give is to put yourself out there. At the end of the day, the only person whose opinion of yourself matters is you. Wear an over-the-top outfit to school, ask someone outside of your clique to hang out, try a new class for no reason other than your own enjoyment. After months of selling my soul to the college application process, I can confidently say that the factors that most define me as a person have no place on the Common App. You’re more than a list of activities and a test score, and high school is about so much more than getting into your dream college. The stereotypical “live in the moment” mantra becomes much more applicable when you accept that your attitude and your actions control the present. Take a chance whenever possible, and make each moment the best it can be.

I may not be able to fully sum up my high school experience or tell you how to go about your own, because the best way to learn is to live through it yourself. I can, however, direct you to Billy Joel’s timeless masterpiece “Vienna,” and remind you that we can all afford to lose a day or two.