$1501
$2000

EDITORIAL: Control your own branding

Graphic Ellie O’Connor

In the age of digital dominance, where every click and tap leaves a trace, high school students find themselves on the frontlines of a new kind of battleground: the virtual realm of social media. The headline, “Control Your Own Branding,” is not about marketing products; it’s a call to safeguard something even more precious – your personal image.

In an era defined by tweets, posts and likes, our lives are increasingly becoming public, creating and leaving behind a digital footprint that can shape our future in unforeseen ways. Social media platforms can provide a positive outlet for people on a personal, professional and educational scale. 

Apps like Instagram, Facebook and TikTok give people a place to connect with friends and family virtually. Though face-to-face interactions are valuable, the online world gives us the ability to stay up to date with those who don’t live close by and have real-time conversations, which fosters a sense of community without physical proximity. Social media also gives people a space to express themselves. We live in a world where everyone has their own unique set of talents, which can be easily shared via endless kinds of social media. From an educational standpoint, social media is a useful tool as well; students have help readily available at their fingertips, including instructional videos and supplemental resources. 

However, the social media’s curated feeds present a glamorized portrayal of someone’s life. Oftentimes someone’s social media profile is a highlight reel of cherry-picked moments they choose to share with the world. Life is never as perfect as it seems to be online. It’s important to stay true to your authentic self, and not fall into the trap of trying to be as “perfect” as the influencers you see online. 

Think of your social media self as your own “logo.” Once in a while stop and really think about if it reflects who you truly are. And if it doesn’t reflect the real-life you, maybe your social media needs some adjusting, or “rebranding,” to reflect your true character. Your personal image should be truthful and authentic, similar to the pursuit of a suitable logo that ARHS is experiencing. The goal of the new logo was to be more authentic to the Titans, to include more of our school colors and have a more dynamic feel. The wider base of the logo is supposed to highlight the might of ARHS Titans.

The logo redesign is a reminder that we can all change, adjust and maybe improve. If the way we’ve branded ourselves doesn’t reflect who we are, take the time to redesign your own “logo” by actively curating your online presence. Social media is not a one-size-fits-all platform. Tailor your content to reflect the authentic you. Showcase your talents, interests and accomplishments, and let your online identity be a positive reflection of your real-life self. Of course, imperfections are a part of your real-life self, too, so maybe let a few of those shine?

The power to control your own branding lies firmly in your hands. Use social media as a tool for self-expression and connection, but do so with the awareness that every digital footprint contributes to the narrative of your life. Be intentional, be authentic and above all, be kind to yourself in this ever-evolving digital landscape. After all, you are the CEO of your own brand, and the story you tell online will shape your narrative for years to come.

This unsigned editorial reflects the views of the Harbinger Editorial Board.