Polls

What is the best part of spring?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Support Us
$1501
$2000

A donation of $40 or more includes a subscription to the 2023-24 print issues of The Harbinger. We will mail a copy of our fall, winter, spring and graduation issues to the recipient of your choice. Your donation supports the student journalists of Algonquin Regional High School and allows our extracurricular publication to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Q&A: Wrestling captain emphasizes team camaraderie

Sophia Lalau
Junior Hendrill Costa throws his opponent onto the floor during the Wrestling meet against Quabbin at Algonquin on Wednesday, Jan. 10, 2024.

The wrestling team ended their season with a 11-22-1 record, led by captains senior Alex Franca and junior Paulo Knapp. Franca looks back on the season’s highlights and team dynamics.

How did the season go overall?

“It went well. Even though we have pretty new athletes that don’t understand wrestling totally, they are still hungry and willing to practice hard and I feel like we developed a good culture where everyone has each other’s back. We improved throughout the season and the hard work paid off at Sectionals.”

Who were some of your key players? What players especially stepped up this season and how?

“One athlete who’s really new, freshman Jaspar Gorgone, learned so quickly; some kids just have a knack for wrestling and you’ll show a move once and then they’ll get it and pull it off. Paulo of course always works hard, and is definitely the most shredded in the locker room. I also want to shout out junior Hendrill Silva; he’s very quiet but always puts in the work, doesn’t complain or whine, and is always ready for more, regardless of the challenge.”

What was your team dynamic like and how did you work together?

“It’s very chaotic, but in a good way. It’s really crazy in the locker room, but when it’s time to train, it’s time to train and be serious. In totality, the camaraderie is really strong, but there is also a sense of accountability; if someone misses practice, we’re on them because in wrestling there’s no space for missing practice. It’s not like a team sport where someone can sub in for you. As a culture we have good accountability.”