$1501
$2000

Book Talk: Curl Up with a Book To Escape the Winter Blues

Sports+Editor+Laney+Halsey+and+News+Editor+Calla+Torres+share+recommendations+for+books+to+read+during+winter.+
Graphic Laney Halsey
Sports Editor Laney Halsey and News Editor Calla Torres share recommendations for books to read during winter.

If you’re feeling down about the cold weather and never-ending gray skies, then there’s only one thing that can get you out of your slump: a good book! Instead of succumbing to the allure of a nap or endless TikTok scrolling, why not escape into enchanting stories? Here are our recommendations for some of the best books to read and get you out of those winter blues.

“People We Meet on Vacation” by Emily Henry 

Where better to begin your literary escape than with a book that explores a variety of worldwide destinations following the journey of two unforgettable characters? If you enjoy books solely focused on romance, join the spirited and travel-hungry Poppy and Alex as they navigate a journey back to their unforgettable bond, along with the highs and lows of their annual summer vacations. It doesn’t matter where you’re reading this, as Henry’s writing style sweeps you into picturesque landscapes, fun adventures and the chemistry between the characters.

“Happy Place” by Emily Henry

While “People We Meet on Vacation” whisks you away on a globetrotting adventure, if you prefer to get to know more characters and a specific place better, then Henry’s “Happy Place” is for you. Although college-sweethearts Harriet and Whit’s relationship is at the forefront of this book, Henry also focuses on the transformative power of the beach house that has been the foundation for their group’s friendships and romances for the past decade. The friends have one last week in the house to repair fading relationships before it’s sold, making it the perfect pace for a week-long read. If you’re looking for the perfect mix of beach vibes, sweet adventures and wholesome friendships, try “Happy Place”!  

“Malibu Rising” by Taylor Jenkins Reid

The beauty of “Malibu Rising” doesn’t lie solely in the vivid descriptions of California beaches or the four dazzling siblings who enchant the pages; it’s in the structure. The entire book happens over the course of a day which makes it an incredibly fast read. Nina, Jay, Hud and Kit Riva are the children of Mick Riva, a famous superstar and absent father. Their motivations and inner conflicts intertwine and unravel, painting a beautiful picture of hard work and family. All of their paths eventually converge at a party where a terrible flame will set the tone for the rest of their lives.

“Beartown” by Fredrik Backman

As winter seems to stretch out forever, it’s hard to appreciate that spring is indeed approaching. This book is essential for reminding readers of that by placing them in the utmost winter setting. Nestled in the desolate Swedish forest, the people of the small village of Beartown have one thing collectively on their minds: hockey. The story follows the events leading up to a high stakes game and the turmoil surrounding a violent encounter between two of the characters. It explores the emphasis placed on sports and the toxicity that can seep into a community from such intense pressure. Even if you’re not particularly a fan of hockey, Backman’s writing is universally appealing as it delves into life and love and everything it means to be human.