Polls

When is it officially "shorts" weather?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Support Us
$1501
$2000

A donation of $40 or more includes a subscription to the 2023-24 print issues of The Harbinger. We will mail a copy of our fall, winter, spring and graduation issues to the recipient of your choice. Your donation supports the student journalists of Algonquin Regional High School and allows our extracurricular publication to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Ski team races to success

Maggie Fitzgerald
Junior Ella Poultney practices at Ward Hill on Jan. 30, 2024.

The boys’ and girls’ ski team wrapped up their season with the boys placing fifth in the league and the girls placing sixth, crediting their success to perseverance, determination and newfound confidence. 

Three skiers qualified to ski at States, with juniors Emmy Beauchesne and Lia Borden competing for the girls and junior Grady Martinek skiing for the boys. Senior Jeffrey Dratch qualified as an alternate.

However, this season was one of change for much of the team. According to senior captain Jon Loizeaux, this season racers experienced a boost in their performance as they adjusted to many new beginnings. 

“Everyone was pretty much new, with new coaches and new racers,” Loizeaux said. “[The most challenging thing was] coming to practice every day and staying disciplined even though you do not see the improvements day to day.”

Future captain junior Lia Borden believes teammates building connections improved the team dynamic. 

“As the season went on we all bonded more and could talk to each other,” Borden said. “I know I’ve talked to everyone, gone up the lift with everyone, and seen lots of improvements.”

Loizeaux and Borden started seeing major improvements around the third week of the season, when racers’ confidence skyrocketed, including senior Tyler Chan and junior Thomas Poultney, and they came to practice determined to succeed. 

“Looking at the improvement, it was super interesting just seeing everyone come out of their shell,” Borden said. 

“The amount of improvement from many of our new racers was outstanding,” new head coach and Algonquin alumna Linnea Henningson said via email.

As a new head coach, getting used to the position can be challenging but Henningson, who was an ARHS skier when she was in high school, appreciated the team’s demeanor and positivity. 

“I think a strength that our team has is enthusiasm,” Henningson said “We have racers who are always yearning to get better at the sport every single practice and race. Our enthusiasm also shows on race night when we cheer each other on.”

Loizeaux believes the team’s strengths are positivity and dedication and Borden is already looking forward to the future. 

“I think next year we’ll do better,” Borden said. “I think we’ll have more fun and spend less time learning and more time improving.”