Polls

What is the best part of spring?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Support Us
$1501
$2000

A donation of $40 or more includes a subscription to the 2023-24 print issues of The Harbinger. We will mail a copy of our fall, winter, spring and graduation issues to the recipient of your choice. Your donation supports the student journalists of Algonquin Regional High School and allows our extracurricular publication to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

The Racer Ru-view: Week Four

Courtesy MTV
RuPaul’s Drag Race contestants Megami, Mhi’ya Iman Le’Paige, Geneva Karr, and Nymphia Wind (right to left) perform in their lipsync performance of “A.S.M.R. Lover” by RuPaul.

This week on RuPaul’s Drag Race was the “Girl Group” challenge, and this was a mainly strong episode. The challenge entails writing verses for a song created by the head judge, RuPaul and choreographing a lip sync performance on stage in groups. Nearly every performance was a standout. With so many strong performances across the board, the few mistakes were undoubtedly evident, leading to the clear tops and bottoms of the week.

My Top 3 of the Week:

1st place – Megami – I am so happy that Megami finally got to shine in this episode. Usually, when girls just spell out their name during their rap verses, it’s a cop-out and ruins the vibe, but Megami came to perform in this episode. Her verse was consistent, quick, witty and vibrant with so much energy that I’ve missed from her all season. Even more, she turned around her previously rickety runways with her look this week. Mixing her reference to an ethereal goddess with her New York City roots brought this outfit to life and I was such a big fan this week.

2nd place – Nymphia Wind – Throughout the competition thus far, this girl has not been disappointing. Every week I get scared that she might struggle but she keeps killing it. Her verse was well put together, with consistent lines linking with her yellow “Banana Buddha” branding. She even mentioned her “Vote Yellow” campaign from episode three when she attempted to get the queens on her side to vote for her in the “Rate-A-Queen” system. Then when she walked out on the runway, I was gagged. She was stunning this week, making campy humor mix with her glamorous fashion and one of the funniest wig reveals the show has seen. Currently with two wins, Nymphia is my top pick to win it all this season, and I can’t wait to see what comes next for her in this competition.

3rd place – Dawn – The only thing that held Dawn from the top this week was that the challenge was judged in groups. Dawn had the most interesting outfit of her group along with a consistently strong verse. She is so fun and not afraid to be both goofy and gorgeous. Her runway stepped out of the box in a way that most queens are afraid of. At first, she seemed to denounce the category, but by turning around she showed that she was applying it in her style with pattern-mixing that most of the queens in the show would stray away from. Dawn knocked it out of the park this week and I hope she continues to do so.

My Bottom 3 of the Week:

10th place – Geneva Karr – As the team leader, I would seriously hope that Geneva was not the weakest in her group, but she was. All of the jokes in her verse were rehashed from the talent show, and even the wig was something she had worn on the main stage before. Furthermore, her runway for this episode was poorly executed, and I did not enjoy looking at her colorful animal print randomly placed around her body. Her setback is that she insists on wearing tinted see-through garments that make her look washed out and afraid to make a full statement. After being in the bottom for three weeks in a row and then getting carried to a win in this week’s episode, it’s time for Geneva Karr to go.

11th place – Amanda Tori Meating – This week was such a random journey for Amanda. She had a stellar girl group performance, but as predicted her horrible runways ended up being her downfall. With sloppy padding and a runway that made minimal sense for the theme, her entire performance had one possible saving grace in the final runway. However, in true Amanda fashion, she provided the judges with one of the sloppiest and ugliest runways we have ever seen, and in comparison to the mainly strong performances of this episode, she didn’t cut it.

12th place – Q – The struggle was real watching Q dance this week. Neither of her outfits this week was up to the standard we all hold her to because Q’s “Girl Group” outfit was the least captivating of her group. Although her runway was strong, as her runways always are, it wasn’t as good as most of what she brings to the runway. The blood theme was heavy in this episode, so her reference felt a bit overused throughout the runway segment of the show. Overall, Q deserved to lip sync this week, but thank goodness it was against Amanda so she was fortunately kept in the competition.

Make sure to return for the next episode of the Racer Ruview, breaking down more hot opinions on “RuPaul’s Drag Race: Season 16, Episode 6.”