$1501
$2000

Gonk Gathering: Enhancing School Unity, Spirit

The sophomore steering committee will host Gonk Gathering this Friday at 7:30 p.m. (Submitted Sophomore Class President Brandon Truong)

In order to bolster school spirit and foster a sense of unity among students, the sophomore steering committee is hosting Gonk Gathering, a new fun-filled event held after the home girl’s basketball game on Feb. 2 from 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.

The student-organized event plans involve various activities, including a school spirit day, and aim to provide a platform for increasing inter-grade camaraderie, support for girls’ basketball and an overall enjoyable experience for students.

Major offerings include baked goods, pizza, soda, board games, puzzles and even a DJ. Sophomore class representative Izzie Gaskamp is excited about Gonk Gathering’s diverse options.

“I’m definitely looking forward to this event and raising school spirit with my friends,” Gaskamp said. “It’ll be lots of fun.”

Sophomore class representative Cara Leonard hopes to use Gonk Gathering to cultivate a more integrated and supportive school community.

“We are trying to find a way to make our class more involved in school activities and connect everyone from all four grades,” Leonard said.

The cash-only event on Friday costs $5 per person. However, the price will be discounted to $2 if students provide a girls’ basketball game receipt and the event will be free for all seniors. 

“We are definitely trying to support the girls’ basketball team and have a fun time,” sophomore steering adviser Shawn Staines said. “That’s our ultimate goal.”

Student attendees should wear school spirit attire, bring a school ID card and sign up with a QR code from the Gonk Gathering posters around the building.