DAO, Tri-M joining forces for culture show

Carey Davis, Staff Writer

The Diversity Awareness Organization [DAO] is collaborating with the Modern Music Masters [Tri-M] for the DAO Culture Show on April 17.

The DAO Culture Show occurs annually to celebrate and raise awareness for the diversity in the school and in the world. This time, however, club president senior Natasha Levey and Tri-M president senior Julia Baker decided a collaboration would enhance awareness.

“Our goal is to spread awareness of other cultures and acceptance of other people,” Levey said. “And the DAO show is to showcase the different cultures in Algonquin.”

“The music that we can bring to the school gives it more culture,” Baker said. “You can explore a lot of different topics and you never know who you’re going to connect with. So we unite as a community.”

DAO members hope to compliment their message with the diversity of Tri-M’s music.

“You can go to a place and you can hear [people] talk and see their clothes but until you listen to the music and taste the food you don’t truly understand them,” Levey said. “So you hear music and, innately, you understand more about that person. It’ll be a better way to understand the culture of Algonquin.”

DAO leaders believe one of the most prominent issues is the fear some community members have because they are different from the Caucasian student majority.

“A lot of people are scared [of expressing their ethnic backgrounds] because they’re from other cultures,” DAO social media representative sophomore Aparna Arjan said. “And I think the DAO club allows them to express themselves more. The DAO show is where they can actually do something to remember their culture and not feel ashamed about it.”

“We should embrace our inner diversity,” DAO member freshman CeCe Clemson said. “Without our differences we’d be like robots.”

The DAO show, which will be held during period four in the auditorium, is also appreciated by teachers.

“I strongly believe that teachers really work toward accepting all students, regardless of their differences,” student adjustment counselor and DAO club advisor Courtney Balacco said. “It’s important that [students] have a well-rounded experience and education here which includes what diversity is, what it means, and how it impacts them.”

Tri-M secretary senior Ali Maynard emphasized how the show would draw attention not only to DAO and their message, but to the music community as well. Maynard said people need to have more awareness of the music and art at ARHS.

Both DAO and Tri-M share their passion for showcasing Algonquin’s diversity. They are also unknown by many students. Through the DAO Culture Show, both clubs strive to raise awareness for themselves and their messages.

“People at Algonquin should be able to relate through other cultures,” Levey said. “We need to be true ambassadors of freedom and equality for all. Peace is not unity in similarity but unity in diversity.”