$1501
$2000

Top 5 holiday movies

Graphic Ellie O’Connor

As the cold winter weather beckons us to stay indoors, there’s no better time to snuggle up and indulge in the magic of holiday movies. With an abundance of heartwarming tales and timeless classics, choosing the perfect film to embrace the holiday spirit can be challenging. Here are five cheerful films that capture the essence of the laughter, love and magic that make this season special. 

#5: Die Hard (1988)

“Die Hard” secures its spot at number five with its undeniable place in a holiday discussion. While often debated for how well it fits the genre, many will always argue its holiday spirit. The movie itself is a gripping tale of  New York police officer John McClane’s one-man mission to save hostages from terrorists during a Christmas party. The film may be defined by its explosions and warfare, but beneath the chaos lies a narrative of family, love and the importance of coming together during the holiday season. Although its infamy earns it a place in this list, the lack of true focus on the holiday leave it firmly in fifth place.  

#4: How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

“The Grinch” takes fourth place with its heartwarming tale of redemption and the true meaning of Christmas. The film conveys the transformative power of love and community, turning the Grinch from a holiday-hating recluse into a symbol of festive joy; admittedly, the heartwarming impact of the original story and cartoon is sometimes diminished by Jim Carrey’s creepy and excessive depiction of the Grinch. Overall, with its colorful visuals and storytelling, “The Grinch” has become a timeless holiday classic for audiences of all ages.

#3: Elf (2003)

“Elf” earns its place at number three as a film that effortlessly captures the magic of the season and its  many laugh-out-loud moments. Will Ferrell’s portrayal of Buddy the Elf brings infectious enthusiasm to the screen, and the film beautifully captures the many themes of the season, from spreading cheer and kindness to the simple belief in the magic of Christmas. Some critics believe, however, the film becomes rushed at the end and barely focuses on the redemption of Buddy’s father, Walter, forcing most of his character arc into five minutes. Still, the film is filled with laughter and heart that secure its status as a beloved holiday gem.

#2: National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989)

Taking the second spot is “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation,” a lesser known film that seamlessly weaves humor into the holiday narrative and deserves the recognition of a Christmas classic. In this iconic comedy, Clark Griswold’s attempts to create the perfect Christmas for his family lead to a series of chaotic events, turning their holiday into an unforgettable rollercoaster of mishaps and laughter. The Griswold family’s hilarious misadventures and their persistent festive spirit despite those setbacks serve as a reminder that imperfect holidays can be the most memorable and make it a close contender for the top spot.  

#1: Home Alone (1990)

Amidst a collection of warming and classic films, the iconic “Home Alone” stands on top. This timeless classic directed by Chris Columbus combines humor, heart and a dash of holiday chaos. Macaulay Culkin’s portrayal of Kevin McCallister, accidentally left behind by his family during Christmas vacation, has become synonymous with the holiday season. As Kevin defends his home against a pair of bumbling burglars in ingenious ways, “Home Alone” reminds us of the importance of family, forgiveness, and the joy of being together during the holidays, and has become a beloved favorite that marks the holiday season.

What is your favorite holiday movie?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.