$1501
$2000

Top 5 spirit days

Graphic Ellie O’Connor
Photos: top left Danny Schanzer, top right Priya Maraliga, bottom left Laura White and bottom right Laura White

School-wide spirit days are the perfect way to boost morale while allowing students to express their own creativity on the individual level. Whether you’re a full-on Spirit Week enthusiast or prefer to sit back and observe the festivities, these unique spirit themes are known to make the school day a blast for students and faculty alike.

#5: Gonk Pride

This theme is not only a classic but appropriate for any season and conveniently low-effort; just throw on your class T-shirt or borrow a friend’s merch and you’re good to go. Students feeling extra spirited might take their look to the next level with maroon-and-gold ribbons, bandanas or face paint. Repping our school’s colors is one of the best ways to promote a deeper sense of pride and help welcome even the most reserved of freshmen into the Algonquin community. If you’re looking to buy your own merch, visit the Gonk Shop for great deals on Titan-themed apparel.

#4: Country vs Country Club

Choose your fighter: tractor-driving, root-tootin’ country native or high society golf enthusiast? This rivalry, as old as the nation itself, makes for another user-friendly spirit day theme and a chance for some hilarious photo ops in the hallways. For maximum effect, grab a flannel or polo shirt and accessorize accordingly; tennis rackets and banjos are optional but encouraged.

#3: Beach Day

There’s nothing like a Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops to warm up the student body on even the coldest of New England winter days. This spirit day will bring back fond memories of summer – plus, there’s the fact that it’s statistically impossible to feel stressed while wearing sunglasses and a tacky hat. Bonus spirit idea: bring your favorite beach chair and relax in the hall between classes to spread the good vibes.

#2: Dress Like Adam Sandler 

Members of the junior and senior class will no doubt recall this hilariously entertaining spirit day from the 2021-22 school year, in which we showed up in outfits imitating everyone’s favorite style icon. All you need to blend in is a comically large T-shirt and basketball shorts that go down to your knees or baggy sweatpants. Adam Sandler day doubles as an excuse to raid your dad’s, brother’s or friend’s closet and show up in an extra comfortable but tasteful outfit.

#1: Color Wars

Perhaps the most widely observed spirit day comes on the day of the pep rally, where each grade shows their competitive spirit by decking themselves from head to toe in their class’s unique color. This theme is perfect for those who want to go all-out. You’re sure to see some tutus, glitter and the occasional onesie as you walk the halls. Participation is highly encouraged, considering that nobody wants to be the one person on the bleachers wearing bright red in a sea of blue. Even if a gymnasium full of overly excited high schoolers isn’t their scene, all students should join in on this staple of the high school experience.

What is your favorite spirit day?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.