Polls

When is it officially "shorts" weather?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Support Us
$1501
$2000

A donation of $40 or more includes a subscription to the 2023-24 print issues of The Harbinger. We will mail a copy of our fall, winter, spring and graduation issues to the recipient of your choice. Your donation supports the student journalists of Algonquin Regional High School and allows our extracurricular publication to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Top 5 book genres

Ellie O’Connor

Growing up you’re taught mainly two different genres of books: nonfiction and fiction. But there are so many more interesting genres to choose from. Here are the top 5 book genres that don’t include nonfiction or fiction. 

#5: Horror

Horror books aren’t for everyone: You stay up all night reading but then come to find out you’re too scared to go to bed. They tell stories of people sneaking into your room at night or a crazed killer on the loose. Horror books focus on creating that fearful emotion and that creepy crawly feeling up your spine. Authors that provide this feeling are Stephen King, Anne Rice and Dean Koontz. While the horror genre is fiction, it seems real and most people tend to shy away from that. However, these stories are so vivid and exciting for those who can handle them, and that’s why they deserve the fifth spot on this list.

#4: Thriller 

Thriller gives you a mix of horror, crime and action. It allows you to experience multiple different genres in one while still getting the full experience. Throughout the books, there are many plot twists that keep the reader’s full attention until the end and keep the reader wanting to read more. Authors like Stephen King, Agatha Christie and Alex Michaelides are a good start if you’re new to the genre.

#3: True Crime 

True crime books allow you to look inside criminals’ heads and see why they committed the act they did and what they were hoping to accomplish. These books describe and demonstrate what exactly happened at the scene of the crime and allow you to visually imagine what occurred. Truman Capote, Michelle McNamara and Jon Krakauer are all true crime writers, and a perfect start to looking into true crime if you’re interested. True crime is a great pick for those looking for a chilling but entertaining mix of nonfiction and thriller.

#2: Fantasy 

On days when you feel bored out of your mind and you want to just escape your own head, fantasy books allow you to disappear into another world entirely. This is literature based in an imaginary universe, including magical realms, mythology and realistic characters. The book “Iron Flame” by Rebecca Yarros has proven to be a fantastic and interesting fantasy book, which many people love reading. It’s totally made up but always is able to get the reader to visually imagine that the events are occurring in real life. 

#1: Young Adult 

Are you in that transition from middle school to high school and can’t seem to find a genre that interests you? Young adult is the perfect book genre to introduce you to a more mature world of stories. It includes issues that many teens face like friendship, sexuality, drugs and alcohol and sexual/gender identity. Young adult novels catch the reader’s attention and they’re very straightforward and easy to read, making them the perfect choice for you. Young adult books provide perspectives from many different concepts of life in which readers can relate to their personal experiences, doing this provides a sense of comfort that draws the reader to read more and more. If you don’t know where to start, authors like Lauren Asher, Carley Fortune and Laura Nowlin are a great place to begin.

What is your favorite book genre?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.