Polls

What is the best part of spring?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Support Us
$1501
$2000

A donation of $40 or more includes a subscription to the 2023-24 print issues of The Harbinger. We will mail a copy of our fall, winter, spring and graduation issues to the recipient of your choice. Your donation supports the student journalists of Algonquin Regional High School and allows our extracurricular publication to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Top 5 Thanksgiving foods

Ellie O’Connor

As the end of November approaches, a lot of us are probably thinking about the next holiday, Thanksgiving. The most exciting thing about this holiday is of course the delicious food. From turkey to mashed potatoes, Thanksgiving offers an array of main courses and side dishes to satisfy all taste preferences. Here are my picks for the best Thanksgiving foods.

#5: Turkey

Coming in at number five we have the signature Thanksgiving dish: turkey. Although turkey is the most popular dish (for meat-eaters, at least), it’s not loved by all. Its dry and chewy flavor along with its often flavorless taste can turn people away. I know that whenever I eat turkey, it must always be paired with some sort of a dip or side to compensate for the relatively bland taste, but when paired with an excellent gravy it can be savory and delicious.

#4: Sweet potatoes

Sweet potatoes are a favorite of mine, but they have to be done a specific way in order to maintain their unique flavor. While many prefer mashed potatoes because sweet potatoes can be dry or, well, sweet, if prepared with cream and herbs they can taste smooth and savory. With their bright orange color and punch of flavor, they deserve to be a Thanksgiving staple.

#3: Macaroni and cheese

Macaroni and cheese is one of the most popular Thanksgiving foods, especially with younger children. This cheesy and mouth-watering dish can satisfy any person and is also a main course option for vegetarians and those who may not like some of the more classic and flavorful vegetable-based dishes. The reason macaroni and cheese isn’t at the very top is because of its simplicity, because it’s eaten all year round and is more common on an everyday basis.

#2: Bread Rolls 

Coming in at number two, we have the very popular side dish of bread rolls. During Thanksgiving, bread rolls are always one of the most reached-for foods on the table and are without doubt always delicious. With so many different varieties including Hawaiian sweet and whole wheat rolls, there is always something for everyone. Not only are rolls filling, but they are also quite versatile and can be paired with almost anything. With a roll you can turn anything into a sandwich or even use it to wipe your plate clean!

#1: Mashed potatoes 

Last but certainly not least, we have mashed potatoes. This savory and rich delicacy is always a staple on the Thanksgiving menu that you can never go wrong with. The mixture of flavors, both salty and sweet, provides for a filling meal that is festive and delicious. The food also allows for an uncontroversial experience due to its simple but also customizable flavors. In summary, mashed potatoes are a food that pairs with anything and is appealing to all ages.