Polls

When is it officially "shorts" weather?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Support Us
$1501
$2000

A donation of $40 or more includes a subscription to the 2023-24 print issues of The Harbinger. We will mail a copy of our fall, winter, spring and graduation issues to the recipient of your choice. Your donation supports the student journalists of Algonquin Regional High School and allows our extracurricular publication to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Q&A: Girls’ soccer captain proud of team, reflects on season

Anna Bellville
Senior captain Kylie Tomasetti kicks the ball at the girls’ soccer game against Wachusett on Oct. 25; Algonquin won 4-1.

The girls’ soccer team ended the season with a record of 10-4-4, led by senior captain Kylie Tomasetti, who has been on the team since freshman year. Tomasetti highlights the team’s achievements and their supportive dynamic.

How was the season overall?

“It was a very good season and it was pretty big for us to win the CMASS finals,” Tomasetti said.

What was a highlight of this season?

“Definitely winning the CMASS finals,” Tomasetti said. “It was a hard fought game; we only won 1-0 nothing in the second half, and then we had to hold out for the last 20 minutes which was hard.”

What was the CMASS final like?

“I didn’t even have any words after the game to be honest,” Tomasetti said. “When I got handed the trophy and ran over with the whole team, I almost got tackled because we were all so happy, everyone was smiling. Even the people who didn’t get in as much as the starters were just as happy so it felt really nice.”

Who were some of your key players? What players especially stepped up this season and how?

“Senior Shaila Sehgal definitely stepped up, she was our striker,” Tomasetti said. “She played pretty close to every minute of a lot of games and was able to keep the ball up top, make runs and use her speed. Also sophomore Ella Timmins stepped up, also pretty much playing every minute as a center back and she did well. Junior Dylan Lochead was a key player as well; she put all the balls in the box for us, all the corners which helped us score a lot of goals.

What was your team dynamic like and how do you work together?

“At first we weren’t as close as the team was together last year, but we used pasta parties and hanging out outside of practice and then towards the end of the season it felt as good as last year, maybe a little better,” Tomasetti. “Everyone loved each other and we felt as a whole and not in separate groups.”

What do you think was the most challenging part of this season?

“Definitely believing in ourselves because last year we had a really talented team and we did this year as well; we just had to get ourselves to believe that we did,” Tomasetti said. “After we were winning games and scoring goals it was easier to believe in ourselves and have more confidence.”