Polls

When is it officially "shorts" weather?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Support Us
$1501
$2000

A donation of $40 or more includes a subscription to the 2023-24 print issues of The Harbinger. We will mail a copy of our fall, winter, spring and graduation issues to the recipient of your choice. Your donation supports the student journalists of Algonquin Regional High School and allows our extracurricular publication to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Q&A: Boys’ soccer captain reflects on season, key players

Submitted Charlie Deschaine
Senior captains Garrett Burns, Owen Provencal and Keenan Siao, along with junior Zach Ruthfield, led the boys’ soccer team this fall season.

The boys’ soccer team ended the season with a record of 9-7-2. This season’s captains include seniors Keenan Siao, Garrett Burns and Owen Provencal as well as junior Zach Ruthfield. Siao looks back on the season and how the team performed.

How was the season overall?

“The season was, like we expected, a lot better than last year because last year was a building year due to many senior starters graduating.”

What was a highlight of this season?

“The highlight of the season was making playoffs again and getting to go blonde after not making the playoffs last year for the first time in 30 something years. To see the boys go blonde again this year was a great feeling.”

Who were some of your key players? What players especially stepped up this season and how?

“Junior Max Oelkers, who played the center defensive midfield position, really held down control in the middle and moved the ball around. Senior Garrett Burns made it during his freshman year and has always been a key player in our attack transitioning from defense to offense. Up top, junior Rowan Miller had an outstanding season this year and he really showed this confidence I didn’t see last year; he’s probably the best dribbler on our team. Zach Ruthfield is another key player, and there was a period of time when we were missing him due to injuries and the team suffered; he makes a big difference.”

What do you think was the most challenging part of this season?

I think the most challenging part of this season was dealing with injuries; we had a lot of key players with injuries this year, such as Ruthfield who hurt his ankle and Rowan who dealt with shin splints the whole season. Senior Patrick Lester, another key player, was also injured and couldn’t play in some practices and games which was tough.”