$1501
$2000

Chute shoots for the stars after celebrating CAP graduation

Faculty, students and family gathered to celebrate postgraduate Megan Chute as she celebrated her graduation from the Community Access Program (CAP) on Oct. 20.

Chute has been a part of the school district since preschool and made some of her closest friends over her years spent at the Northborough schools. During her time at Algonquin, she has participated in Unified Basketball, worked as an intern in the health office and pursued her passion for music through Unified Singing Club.

Although she is excited to start a new chapter, Chute is sad to leave ARHS behind.

“I will miss my friends and teachers the most,” Chute said.

The ceremony began with Principal Sean Bevan presenting her official diploma, followed by a slideshow presentation featuring photos of Chute throughout her 19 years in the Northborough school system. 

The celebration continued as Chute took to the front of the room to perform “Take Me Home, Country Roads” by John Denver, singing along to a backing track as the audience looked on with smiling faces and a few teary eyes.

Special education teacher Caitlyn Hynes had Chute as a student for three years and knew her through Best Buddies for the entirety of her high school career. 

We’re so proud of her; she’s come so far. It’s just amazing to see the journey she’s been on and where she is today.

— Postgraduate Megan Chute's older sister Katie Greenland

“She’s very enthusiastic,” Hynes said. “Whatever activity we do, she’s ready to participate and be engaged.”

According to Hynes, Chute has acquired self-confidence and initiative outside of the classroom. 

“She’s become a much stronger self-advocate,” Hynes said. “She’s grown so much, from being able to tell staff what she wants to do when she turns 22 to the kinds of activities she participates in.”

Chute worked with school nurse Heather Allen during the 2022-23 school year, spending one day per week helping the nurses with office tasks and organization as part of an internship that she set up herself.

Chute’s older sister Katie Greenland, who attended the graduation ceremony, has seen Chute progress immensely throughout her time in the district.

“We’re so proud of her; she’s come so far,” Greenland said. “It’s just amazing to see the journey she’s been on and where she is today.”

In the future, Chute hopes to work at Wegmans as a baker and continue playing basketball in her free time.