$1501
$2000

Q&A: Cheerleading captain discusses team unity, upcoming competitions this season

Grace Bouzan
Senior captain Olivia Mullen helps lead the cheerleading team to success this fall season.

The girls’ cheerleading team is in high spirits as their season is off to a good start, led by senior captains Olivia Mullen, Maggie Gorman and Holly Cavanna. Mullen sat with the Harbinger to reflect on the team’s progress and where they stand right now. 

How is the season going overall?

“The season is going good. We have a lot of new people who have good skills. It’s a good group and very inclusive and fun.” 

What was a highlight of this season so far?

“Just getting to know everyone. There are so many different personality types on the team. You get to meet people in a group that you wouldn’t normally be friends with if it weren’t for cheer.”

Who are some of your key players? What players especially stepped up this season and how?

“[Senior] Maggie Gorman, she tries her very best 100% of the time. Freshman Ella Mowry is a very positive person and is great at tumbling. She is overall a good asset to the team.”

What is your team dynamic like and how do you work together?

“I noticed [throughout the season] we are helpful, understanding and patient. If someone is not understanding something, we try explaining it to them in a different way so they understand it better.”  

What do you think is the most challenging part of this season?

“Definitely preparing for competitions while also making sure we’re presentable for games. Competitions are so much more intense than games. We also have to make sure we’re safe at games and know what we’re doing, so balancing that [is important].”

What is coming up for the team?

“We have a competition coming up on Oct. 22 at Shepherd Hill, which is our first one. We [also] have our senior night on Oct. 27.”