Senior Reflection: No one really knows what they’re doing

Jula Utzschneider, Editor-in-Chief

“Reflect on your time at Algonquin in roughly 400 words.”

While a seemingly simple prompt, I find myself unable to come up with just one topic to write about. Where do I even start?

That being said, here is my attempt. This awkward phase of my life condensed into a few short paragraphs.

The last four years of high school have been a wild ride, filled with laughter, tears and more teenage angst than you could ever imagine. It feels like just yesterday I was a freshman, terrified of the upperclassmen at orientation and wondering if I’d ever find that pool on the fourth floor.

But now, as I prepare to say goodbye to Algonquin forever, I realize that I’ve learned so much more than just how to properly use a combination lock (which I still don’t actually know how to do). I’ve learned that life is a journey, and that it’s important to enjoy the ride, regardless of how bumpy it gets. And boy, does it get bumpy.

No matter how daunting it seems, know that it’s okay to make mistakes. As a true hero of mine once said, “Everybody makes mistakes, everybody has those days.” Everyone knows that high school can be hard; sometimes it may even seem impossible. My best advice is to just take it one assignment at a time, and try not to be so easily overwhelmed (easier said than done, I know). Use the Canvas to-do list; it was a lifesaver.

And as difficult as it may sound, live without regret and take chances. It’s exponentially better to be embarrassed now than be stuck wondering “what if” for the rest of your life. Embrace the chaos and unpredictability of high school, and never be afraid of failure. I promise you that these are memories you’ll cherish for a lifetime, or at least until you forget them and need someone to remind you.

My biggest takeaway is that no one knows what they’re doing. Not the teachers, not the students, and definitely not me. The people who seem to have life figured out are struggling too, so don’t be worried if it seems like you’re behind everyone else. You aren’t.

High school may have been a rollercoaster ride, but it’s one I wouldn’t trade for the world.

Peace out Gonk, thank you for everything.