EDITORIAL: Work together to make Algonquin better

Whether it be issues with WiFi connectivity that impede lesson plans, recycling programs that leave students and teachers confused about how to best dispose of waste or athletic facilities that are unsafe and non-ADA compliant, there are many aspects of Algonquin that can be improved. Although these things may not always be in our control, as in the examples listed above, as members of the Algonquin community, our power comes from our voices. 

While we may not be able to improve WiFi connectivity overnight, ensure that the new athletic complex is built or create a seamless recycling system, it is through our involvement in the Algonquin community that we can create positive change. For those of you old enough to vote for or against the new athletic complex, make your voices heard by voting for what you believe is the best decision for our community. Others can get involved with local politics by seeking out local representatives or attending town meetings. For those looking to improve the environment or simply personal recycling habits, you can focus on reducing waste or seeking out opportunities for trash clean-ups and other environmentally conscious activities. 

Getting involved in clubs or organizations on Algonquin’s campus is a great way to explore new passions and fight for change at our school. Whether it be through joining the Green Earth Club, which encourages sustainable practices like reusing and recycling, or becoming a staff writer for the Harbinger so you can share your opinion on important topics, Algonquin’s variety of student-run organizations allows us students to make a difference in our community and explore our passions freely.

Algonquin will always have room for improvement—there will always be challenges we face as a community–but the more we utilize our voices and power in numbers, the more we can make individual and widespread changes. Working together and fighting for what we are passionate about is how we improve as a school and community, so finding your voice and your place within the school can make all the difference. 

This unsigned editorial reflects the views of the Harbinger Editorial Board.