Students pack for tropical adventures

Public Domain Picture

The city of Otavalo, where students will travel over April vacation.

Stephanie McGovern, Staff Writer

37 students have signed up to travel to Ecuador and Costa Rica with English teacher Jennifer Zuba and Spanish teacher Nicole DeMember from April 18-26.
This will be Zuba’s sixth trip traveling with the EF tour company, but she says that this trip will be different than the other ones she’s taken to Europe.
“Europe is history,” Zuba said. “This is more science-based than other EF trips offered”.
11 students have signed up to tour the islands with a private guide. Beyond tropical adventure, Zuba hopes the students can get a sense of the culture.
“[This trip is] not museum or churches based around culture: there’s cool things to do, [we’ll go to] marketplaces, they’ll get to go to the equator and use motor boats,” Zuba said.
After flying into Ecuador’s capital, Quito, they will visit places such as Independence Plaza and Government Plaza. The students will also visit the mainland city of Otavalo, where they plan to explore the marketplaces, in addition to the Baltra, Santa Cruz, and Florena Islands in the Galápagos, where they will take various boat excursions.
Zuba hopes the trip will turn the students into world travelers.
“I hope that everyone leaves having a passion for travel,” Zuba said.
While Zuba travels to Ecuador, DeMember will take students to Costa Rica. Hannah Brenner, Emily Philbin, and Shawn Staines will accompany DeMember and students on this adventure.
The planned excursions include  ziplining, visiting hot springs, seeing a volcano, going to national parks, horseback riding, and seeing various shows.
“All trips I have been on have been in Europe; [this trip] we will be seeing all different types of things,” DeMember said.
Of all the trip’s activities, DeMember is most excited to visit a Costa Rican school in one of the cities they will be staying in.
“The aspect of seeing another school and how it’s run is cool, and I am excited for the students to see it,” DeMember said.
“I hope everyone has a great time, great adventure, exposed to a different culture, and speak Spanish,” DeMember said.