Teacher parents prove to have perks

Eric Sweeter, Staff Writer

Students usually view their teachers as mentors or guides for learning, but a select few refer to them as “Mom” or “Dad.”
Five teachers have children who are currently enrolled at Algonquin. Two of science teacher Lori Mott’s children attend ARHS and her daughter Olivia, a senior, has her as a teacher in her AP Biology class.
“It’s definitely weird to have her as a teacher, but we usually don’t talk about school at home or home at school,” senior Olivia Mott said.
Some of these students still feel the extra pressure to not only look good for colleges, but also in the classroom for their mom or dad.
“I feel some extra pressure to do well in her class: I should always be excelling,” Olivia Mott said.
Even though the pressure these students face may seem like a downside, there are some perks of having parents in the faculty.
“If I ever forget to get something signed or I forget money, I always run it down to my mom’s room,” senior Elisabeth Waters, the daughter of music teacher Kathrine Waters, said.
While parents who are teachers recognize the challenges their children may face, they see the benefits Algonquin can provide.
“I absolutely would consider Algonquin’s strong academics when deciding where my kids should go,” science teacher Christine Connelly said.
“Being able to see [Olivia] in a way that most parents don’t [see their kids] is delightful,” Lori Mott said. “I get to see her involved and cooperating in a different setting [than home or with her friends].”