Variety Show returns after pandemic hiatus

Instagram @arhs2025

The class of 2025 is bringing back the Variety Show as “Algonquin’s Got Talent,” and performances will be held on March 16 at 7 p.m. in the Black Box theater.

Jax Jackson, Staff Writer

After three years away, the previously annual Algonquin Variety Show will return to the Black Box theater on March 16 at 7 p.m. under the new branding of Algonquin’s Got Talent. 

The most recent Variety Show before the pandemic was held by the class of 2020 in their senior year with a $100 cash prize to the winner voted by the audience. While the show was canceled for three years  due to COVID-19, the sophomore class is excited to bring it back to the stage.

Class of 2025 advisers Kristen Morcone and Nicole Ruffo have been working with members of the steering committee to bring the event to life. According to Morcone, there is a lot that went into the planning of Algonquin’s Got Talent.

“I’m excited to see it all come together,” Morcone said. “There’s been a lot of meetings and a lot of planning and I’m excited to see how it all looks come showtime.” 

Ruffo and Morcone came up with the idea for the show from its previous showing, remembering how it had been an annual Algonquin tradition before the pandemic. Both Morcone and class of 2025 president Nathan Meschisen wished for this event to become regular again.

“Unfortunately with COVID it sort of died off and stopped, which is why the advisers wanted to bring it back because it was a fun event here,” Meschisen said.

Originally, the show was scheduled for Feb. 14, but had to be postponed due to a lack of performers.  Meschisen found the process of postponing the event to be  the most difficult part of the planning process. 

“The biggest struggle was finding a new date for the event with all that’s going on,” Meschisen said. “It also entailed a new marketing plan with more in depth details.” 

The event is now set to be held on March 16 in the Black Box theater, after the steering committee was able to successfully recruit enough singers, poets, comics and other talents. . Admission is free for seniors, and tickets can be purchased at the door for $5 for all other students and $7 for adults.

Both Meschisen and Morcone look forward to experiencing the event after months of planning. . 

“I’m excited to see it all come together,” Morcone said. “It’s been a long time in the making. There’s been a lot of meetings and a lot of planning, and I’m excited to see how it all looks come showtime.”

Morcone hopes the event brings students together after being limited by COVID-19 and its restrictions.

“It’s just a way for more students to showcase their talents and for the sophomore class to come together and run their first major event,” Morcone said.