Students find success in stock market, advise peers to invest early

Ellie O'Connor

Some ARHS students have found success investing in stocks, bonds, crypto currency and more, but most students do not take advantage of the opportunity to maximize their financial growth. 

Andrew Hodge, Staff Writer

While some ARHS students have found success investing in stocks, bonds, crypto currency and more, most students do not take advantage of the opportunity to maximize their financial growth. 

According to Bankrate, only 18% of 18-25 year olds are invested in the stock market. Several Algonquin students have found great success through the stock market and they strongly encourage those who haven’t already, to get invested.

“Investing secures your financial future if you start early enough,” business teacher Christine Ferreira said.

There are risks and benefits of investing, but Ferreira says starting early is a way to maximize growth through compound interest, which enables money to constantly grow then grow more off the profit.

“The main benefit of investing early is compound interest,” Ferreria said. “The earlier you start, the more time your money has to grow.”

Senior Tucker Gauvin qualified and competed in the Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA) National Championship for the stock market simulation as a junior. Gauvin was able to teach himself how to invest and grow his wealth.

“I got into investing during the pandemic when we were stuck at home, by watching videos and figuring it out on my own,” Gauvin said.

Gauvin believes it is a good time to get involved in the market but advises against risky investments that tend to fluctuate, including crypto currency and penny stocks, which are inexpensive, small company stocks that often fluctuate in value and usually aren’t traded on large stock exchanges. Gauvin recommends making safer investments with less volatility and steady growth like mutual funds and bonds. 

“One tip I have for new investors is to make a plan and stick to it,” Gauvin said. “Be disciplined with your strategy and don’t put more than 20% of your portfolio into risky investments.”

One of the most notorious risky investments is crypto currency, such as Bitcoin, which recently crashed in value. Senior Cole Jones, who owned a business and has invested a significant amount in the market, warns against crypto investments.

“Crypto is gambling in my opinion,” Jones said. “I have little experience with it and plan to leave it behind.”

While Gauvin and Jones both find investing very rewarding, it is important to do your due diligence and understand where you’re putting your money by researching on reputable websites.

Jones believes it’s important to think now about how investing even a small amount can set you up for success in the future.

“Having a retirement fund over many years is very important and rewarding,” Jones said.