Sports should not be prioritized over art

Staff+Writer+Jasmine+Yee+writes+that+the+arts+are+just+as+important+as+sports+and+should+not+be+neglected.+

Karma Bebawy

Staff Writer Jasmine Yee writes that the arts are just as important as sports and should not be neglected.

Jasmine Yee, Staff Writer

At the homecoming game, students were packed like sardines in the stands dressed head to toe in Algonquin pride, yet when our school hosted its art show a few months before, there were only a few students in the room.

There is a clear imbalance in the prioritization of arts and sports within the Algonquin community. While students pile in to watch an athletic game in the gym or on the field, they neglect to support the other clubs and activities that Algonquin offers. 

Algonquin lacks the same attention to art activities as it does to its sports program. I wouldn’t have shown up to the art show had my friend not been a part of it, as I didn’t even know the show was happening. Various social media and school announcements for frequent home games shadow the few art shows and performances that Algonquin hosts. 

People enjoy playing and watching sports for the emotional, exciting and dramatic moments, however, arts can do the same. Similar to playing a sport, you never know what might happen during a play, improv act or music performance. 

Another reason why students at Algonquin love to attend sports games is because they like to be around a crowd of people excited to witness a thrilling match. If people enjoy sports games because of the crowd, then it’s up to the students to create the crowd. 

In addition to supporting our local athletic departments, students should try art-related activities. Art-related activities provide as much rigor as sports, making students even more well-rounded. The mental, emotional and physical benefits that sports provide are also offered by many art classes and activities. 

While taking one art elective is considered a graduate requirement, many students opt out of the class by choosing a business elective which they believe would be more beneficial to both college applications and future careers. Even though a business class might be important, art classes provide the necessary life skills, such as patience, expressing oneself and creativity, that students will need after high school. 

The mental, emotional and physical benefits that sports provide are also offered by many art classes and activities.

— Jasmine Yee

Students join sports programs to get involved in the school community, so why not be a part of the art community? Students cheer each other on in theater, dance classes and band concerts, creating a friendly atmosphere for people of all abilities. The same encouraging environment in sports can be found in a dance class or an art session. 

Students participate in sports to be active and destress after a full day of school, but sports are not the only after-school activity that provides that platform, as art is also a way for students to relax. Some students may even stress about sports and their extracurricular commitments; when a student participates in Algonquin art activities, they can find ways to take a break from these stressors.

Arts such as martial arts, dance or theater have plenty of physical demands. Students learn control and focus on pushing themselves to do impressive techniques with their body. It takes a lot of physical effort to be able to turn, kick and leap, all while having the perfect technique and, in the case of theater, a smile.

Art provides a getaway for students to let out their emotions and spread a message to their community. The bottled feelings that we all carry from outside and inside of school can be let out through performance, painting or music. 

Even if sports are always the buzzing news around Algonquin, arts can be too. Our dedication for playing games and competing in matches can be shared with a passion for the arts. By attending art shows and concerts, students can listen to the messages spread by art.