Top 5 Party Songs

Cass Melo, Staff Writer

Between Prom, Homecoming and, just a few weeks ago, Winter Ball, dances are a staple of the high school experience. While good refreshments, decorations and lighting are all crucial to the best high school dance, it’s the music that can make or break it. Here is a list of the top five party songs needed on every dance floor.

#5: “California Gurls” by Katy Perry (feat. Snoop Dogg)

Although Perry has dozens of great songs to party with, Snoop Dogg’s ‘90s style rap in this number perfectly balances her upbeat energy. While originally dubbed a “summer anthem,” Perry’s bright and colorful style mixed with the newer sound of electro-pop makes this song a year-round must-have for all parties. Although its chorus is very repetitive, it would be a crime to not have an appearance from the “Queen of Pop.”

#4: “Cha Cha Slide” by DJ Casper

This instruction-based song is great for all generations! Originally created as an aerobics routine for his nephew, “Cha Cha Slide” is now one of the most popular line dances for parties. Whether you’re dancing with friends, on a date or by yourself, this song is easy to follow and a great way to drum up excitement on the dance floor.

#3: “Mr. Brightside” by The Killers

Now for a classic party song, lead singer Brandon Flowers pours his heart out in a true story of finding his former girlfriend cheating on him. The uplifting tune allows it to appeal to all audiences, no matter their mood. Its pop-punk energy not only makes it one of the most streamed songs of the 2000s but also great to dance and sing along to.

#2: “Uptown Funk” by Mark Ronson (feat. Bruno Mars)

In this iconic jam, Mars narrates heading “uptown” to party for a night with a few of his friends. The fast-paced tune and charismatic, if not arrogant, lyrics can pump confidence directly into your veins. As one of the top hits of the 2010s with callbacks to the ‘70s disco and ‘80s funk eras, this track can appeal to a wide variety of musical interests. 

#1: “Party in the USA” by Miley Cyrus

What’s better for an American high school dance than a song about partying in the USA? This ridiculously catchy 2009 hit depicts Cyrus’ struggle to fit in after she relocates from Nashville Tennessee to Los Angeles, a pain that many teens can understand. As many songs are full of romance or heartbreak, a tune about a teenager struggling with her identity and finding confidence in familiar music makes for a refreshing break. With over a billion streams on Spotify and a chorus that can be sung in every household, there is no question that the former Hannah Montana star belongs at the top of this list.