Students to play in Central District Ensembles

Julia Babcock, Staff Writer

Central District Ensembles

Twenty three students will play in the Central District Ensembles at Mechanics Hall in Worcester on  Saturday January 17.

The Central District Ensembles is made up of different ensembles composed of students from the five districts of Central Massachusetts.

To be a part of Central District Ensembles, “Students can try out for the chorus orchestra, concert band, or jazz band. Students then prepare an audition piece distributed by the CDMMEA (Central District Massachusetts Music Educators Association)”, junior Daniel Fier, a vocalist said.

Senior Elliot Howard, a vocalist, described the audition process, “Typically for a vocalist, we pre-audition with Mrs. Waters, then at eight on a Saturday we go sign in and recite the piece.”

“At the audition, students perform the audition piece usually by singing or playing a scale or arpeggio [the notes of a chord played in succession], and sight read a few lines of music.” said Fier, “The auditions are scored using a score sheet. Those with a qualifying score are selected into various ensembles.”

To help the students prepare for auditions there are two rehearsals held at Wachusett, but students also have their own way for preparing for the performance, “ I mostly just learn the music normally, then practice it,” Howard said.

“[To prepare for auditions] I learn the music and practice it. Mrs. Waters is also giving some extra district help sessions for learning the songs,” Fier said.

Out of the 23 students who tried out  for CDMMEA, nine of them made All States: seniors Ellie Howard and Elisabeth Waters, juniors Eric Coughlin, Olivia Iverson, Ethan McRae, Kaitlyn Shreeve, and Connor Jenks, sophomore Zoe Chang and freshmen Bridget Brady.

“All States are held in March, where the top 50 percent of the students [who tried out] make it,” Fine and Performing Arts Department Chair Amy Collins said.