McGonnell helps students relax, de-stress

Rachael Berthiaume, Staff Writer

Every Friday students who have study fifth period can attend a ten week yoga and meditation program run by Debra McGonnell, formerly known as English teacher, Mrs. Newman.

During second and third lunch McGonnell is in the C gym alternating between meditation and yoga to try and help students be more relaxed and less stressed.

McGonnell has been teaching yoga for 13 years.

“I choose to participate in the program because it sounded like a fun and relaxing way to end the week. It’s also a time to be with my friends in an environment that we don’t have at school very often,” senior Emily McAndrews said.

Junior Kevin Lynch, senior Rachel Barrett and freshman Bethany Veradt have all commented that after taking the class they have felt stress relief and peace, and would definitely encourage others to try it out.

McGonnell said her goal for this program is, “to plant the seed of mindfulness and give students skills and strategies to calm themselves in times of stress.”

So far, the program has been doing just that.

“I do think it helps to be less stressed, especially at this time of year because everyone seems to be really stressed out,” McAndrews said.

According to McGonnell, some of the other benefits of yoga, besides less stress, are increased body awareness, overall health and increased happiness.