Spanish classes see NYC play, enjoy day in city

Carly Sotir, Staff Writer

Not very often do students get the chance to drive to New York City at 5 a.m., see a play, eat at a restaurant in the city, and then drive home all in one school day. On November 25, the Spanish 5 and AP Spanish students embarked on this adventure in connection with the AP summer reading assignment.

The AP Spanish class read and performed La Casa de Bernarda Alba by Federico Garcia Lorca at the beginning of the year.

They read the book over the summer, and “then the first three or four weeks of the school year they had to perform the play for the other spanish classes,” Spanish teacher Karla Steele said.

Since the students had read and performed the play themselves, they enjoyed seeing the play in a new light on the professional stage.

“Comparing how the actresses interpreted the play with how my class performed it was very interesting because even though it was the same play, some parts were different,” senior Baylee Burns said.

Many students were impressed by how well the actors performed.

“The acting was so good that I was able to get a sense of what was going on from the expressions and voices of the actors,” senior Sean Watkins said.

Most students and teachers agreed their favorite part of the field trip was seeing the Spanish play.

“My favorite part was seeing the play done by Spanish actors from all over Spanish speaking countries and seeing the kids understand, follow, and enjoy the play,” Steele said.

After seeing the play, the day’s itinerary consisted of walking around Times Square and eating a three course meal at a Mexican restaurant called Arriba Arriba.

“It was a great way to experience Spanish culture without having to leave the country,” Watkins said.