$1501
$2000

Changes revamp Winter Ball, high expectations for success

Winterball has been renamed to Winter Semi-Formal in an attempt to increase attendance and popularity.

The dance takes place on December 19 at the Best Western in Marlborough, and representatives hope the new name attracts more ticket sales than previous years.

“This year for Winter Semi-Formal we’re trying to appeal to the masses, trying to take what we got the most complaints from last year and make it better,” sophomore representative Max Donahue said.

The attendance for the dance hasn’t been what the school has wanted it to be recently, according to student council representatives. Many years ago, tickets would sell out. The past couple years have not showed results nearly as high.

“Back when I went, it was popular, and people definitely attended,” English teacher John Frederick, class of 1989, said. “I don’t know if it was a sellout, but most of the student body would be there.”

On a Student Council majority vote, the name was changed and new actions were taken to promote the dance in hopes of raising the attendance level. For example, in response to claims that there have not been enough activities at the dance, the student council motioned to add a photobooth.

“To increase popularity is all about the marketing, we hope to convey the dance in the best way possible to help people understand this dance is a fun experience and a great event to attend,” Donahue said.

The dance will have the same attire as previous years, but a different ambiance.

“We are decorating the room differently to make it feel a little more like winter and more welcoming,” sophomore student council representative Maggie Shatz said.

The student council has witnessed positive reactions so far and hope to see many more. One student, junior Peri D’Amico, is intrigued by the name change.

“The new name got me and my friends talking, and we decided we would want to go this year,” D’Amico said.

The Winter Semi-Formal is looking to attract many freshmen this year who are interested in what the dance will be like.

“I would tell freshmen that the Semi-Formal is a great way to have a good time with friends at a festive dance hosted by the school,” Donahue said.