Fall Food Drive: Another Successful Year

Chris Craig, Staff Writer

Every year, the Student Council coordinates a charitable effort to provide food for families in need at the dawn of the holiday season.

This year was no different as the council worked rigorously to collect money to donate to a food pantry in Worcester. This year, the council collected over $6000 to benefit the pantry.

John Barry, history teacher and student council advisor, has contributed to the food drive effort for years. His mission for these drives remained constant.

“The goal is always the same. Provide the Mustard Seed with what they need.” said Barry.

The Mustard Seed is food pantry run by a church in Worcester that aims to feed those in need. The volunteers at the pantry use the donated money to purchase the necessary resources that may be needed to help supply those in need.

Barry explained that the food drive is not only to provide those in need with food for Thanksgiving alone. The drive collected money to supply these people with the essential resources (cereals, pasta, canned goods, baby formula etc.) for a longer term of assistance.

“It [the drive] is not to handle just Thanksgiving. It’s far bigger than that.” said Barry.

Barry hoped to surpass the amount raised last year (close to $3000) to continue assisting the disadvantaged members of the Worcester community. Thanks to the generous donations from the Algonquin community, the amount collected this year is more than doubled.

Council president Colleen Barry worked to spread awareness through the Algonquin community about how to get involved in the food drive. Barry expressed her gratitude to the teachers that offered competitions within their classes to raise money. She also urges students to remember the true goal of the food drive.

“I think the thing that we need to remember is where the money is going…The people we are giving the money to are people who can’t afford food for a Thanksgiving.  So by donating money you’re giving a family a meal.” said Barry.

Social studies department chair Brittany Burns participates in the food drive by eliminating a current event assignment for every 100 dollars raised. This year, her Law and Society class raised 150 dollars for the drive.

Burns plans to offer future competitions to support future food drives as well as other future charity initiatives.

“I hope that things like the food drive inspire people to think of people in need not just around the holidays.” said Burns.

Council members junior Kenny Huang and junior Alexa Canaan contributed ideas and worked on the food drive subcommittee. The subcommittee consists of the council members responsible for running this year’s food drive.

Their goal was also simple.

“Exceed what we made from last year.” said Canaan.