Sophomore synchronized skater glides her way to success

Submitted Allison Moore

Sophomore Allison Moore skates with the Hayden Ice Mates synchronized skating team and has been participating in synchronized skating since she was six years old.

Ellie O’Connor, Staff Writer

Despite the challenging nature of synchronized ice skating, sophomore Allison Moore’s love for the sport outweighs the hardships.

Moore is a skater on the Hayden Ice Mates synchronized skating team. While most people are familiar with traditional figure skating, many do not know what synchronized skating is. During routines, or programs, 16 skaters move together in harmony with a variety of elements such as lifts, spins and dance. 

Moore began skating at six years-old when a family friend brought her to a learn-to-skate class. 

“I loved skating from the first time I was on the ice,” Moore said.

From there, Moore began to take private lessons and eventually joined the Skating Club of Boston’s synchronized skating team at seven years old, cultivating a passion for the sport early on.

“Being able to compete, skate and have practices with your best friends is so much fun,” Moore said.

Intricate programs with 16 skaters take time and practice to perfect. Moore has six practices a week, and occasionally has to wake up at 4:45 a.m. for early training sessions. She says managing a rigorous training schedule with schoolwork and social events can be stressful. 

“It’s definitely been a learning curve, and I’m still learning how to balance my time,” Moore said.

However, the difficulties of such a significant commitment pay off during competitions. At the peak of competition season (November to February), training gets intense as the team works to improve their synchronized program. Moore looks forward to competing with her team this season to hopefully win the U.S. National Championship.

“I love competing as a team,” Moore said. “It’s such a good experience because we’re all bonded and in it together.”

Moore’s coach, Erika Hoffman, recognizes this special aspect of synchronized skating.

“[Synchronized skating] has that added layer of really being able to compete at a high level, surrounded by a supportive network of teammates who become your close friends,” Hoffman said. “Having that connection with your teammates and that trust is incredibly important.”

Moore’s dedication and work ethic contribute to the team’s success.

“The fact that she’s such a good teammate and role model makes her a really strong asset to the team,” Hoffman said.

Hoping to qualify for Nationals this February, the Ice Mates will be training more than ever this season.

“We practically face challenges every time we practice our program, but I’ve learned that it pays off [in order] to get better throughout the season,” Moore said.