Color guard dances into new season

Hannah O’Grady, Staff Writer

With their twirling flags and choreographed dances, the Algonquin Color Guard is gearing up for another year of performance and looking forward to welcoming new members.

Color Guards are teams that perform dance routines with various equipment, such as flags, to both traditional marching band music and contemporary music. With practices twice a week, the team performs at football games and occasionally parades like the Heritage Day Parade and the Memorial Day Parade. Support aide Stefani Giegucz, one the club’s advisers, believes the expressive nature of the sport is something unique to Color Guard.

“Being on a sports team is such an exciting feeling,” Stefani Giegucz said, “The connection to movement and dance just emphasizes that.”

Although the sport may seem intimidating, both advisers, Applied Arts and Technology teacher Zbigniewa Giegucz and Stefani Giegucz, are confident in their students’ abilities to practice and perform. Stefani Giegucz believes the practice and dedication that goes into the sport helps students grow.

“You’re constantly trying to improve your own routines, how you move, and how you work with things, and I think that transfers into everyday life,” Stefani Giegucz said.

Giegucz knows this from experience: she participated in Algonquin’s Color Guard during high school and continued her involvement with the sport at the University of Dayton. Now as the club’s choreographer, she brings both traditional marching band routines, as well as more expressive, contemporary routines to the team.

“With the change into contemporary, we choreograph based more off of musical cues,” Stefani Giegucz said.  “It’s not quite counting anymore, but more the feel of the music.”

Practices consist of warm-ups, choreography and flag work. Senior captain Julia Cobb says learning skills can be nerve-wracking, but practice will pay off.

I know people can be scared of the flag hitting them, but when you learn it you will get better,” Cobb said. “The coaches are so helpful and teach you step by step what to do.”

Both advisors agree that the welcoming environment is one of the highlights of Color Guard. Zbigniewa Giegucz notes that collaboration between students during practice creates a sense of community, and benefits the group’s skills.

“You are always going to have a teammate there to help you out,” Zbigniewa Giegucz said. “You are constantly improving.”

Cobb believes the ability to perform and learn has had a great impact on her Algonquin experience.

“Being able to perform at halftime football games is such a fun experience,” Cobb said, “Color Guard has contributed to me getting better with flag skills and dancing. It’s been great to be able to be part of a team here.”

The co-chairs emphasize that Color Guard aims to provide these performance opportunities to students of all backgrounds and abilities.

“Everyone is welcome,” Zbigniewa Giegucz said. “If you like dancing, or being part of a group, this is the place for you.”

In the choreographic process, Stefani Giegucz makes sure that students of all physical abilities are able to participate and perform the routines she creates. Her choreography adapts to performers’ needs.

“Sometimes, we have two or three movements going on at that same time, and it works,” Stefani Giegucz said. “We work together, and it is adapted.”

Color Guard meets every Monday from 2:45 to 3:45 and every Thursday from 4:00 to 5:00 in room E107. Any students are welcome to attend, and no prior guard experience is needed.

“I can’t stress enough the importance of trying new things,” Stefani Giegucz said. “You don’t know where it’s going to lead you.”