Senior Reflection: Falling in love with science

Olivia Battles, Multimedia Editor

I have loved science for as long as I can remember, literally. Some of my earliest memories are of me and my dad looking up into the night sky while I asked all sorts of space-related questions; however, the majority of these questions were about the moon. I was so mesmerized by it that when the moon wasn’t out, we would sit together in his office while he drew pictures of trucks with different moon phases on them. He called it “Moonah trucking” and I thought it was awesome.

Once I got to middle school, the science classes were easily my favorites. Over those three years, I was able to translate my love for the moon into a love for science, especially biology. 

Taking science courses in high school turned my passion into a reality. I found biology to be logical and all the visuals helped me understand all of the complicated processes we learned. Biology is also a diverse subject with so many different concentrations, including some of my favorites: anatomy and physiology, biochemistry and ecology. 

My family may make fun of me, but I love to apply the things I learn to my everyday life. While I jog down the street, I think about the cellular respiration happening in my muscle cells and how that soon may turn into lactic acid fermentation which will cause my muscles to burn. 

I also love being able to answer questions, especially when my eight-year-old brother asks them. He’ll ask, “Why are leaves green?”, “Where do the bugs go in the winter?” or “Why do I shiver when it’s cold outside?” I love answering my little brother’s questions the most because it reminds me of all the times my dad and I sat looking up at the night sky all those years ago except I get to answer the questions now.