Liv for You

Rachael Berthiaume, Staff Writer

Sophomore health classes listened to Hanna Gardella, who has been visiting schools in the area with her friend Sarah Murray, discussing the devastating effects of the drug Molly.

Their best friend, Olivia Rotondo, died from an overdose of Molly at an edm concert called Electric Zoo.

“Three other people died that week at EDM concerts due to drugs,” Gardella said.

Gardella bravely spoke of her experience and emphasized over and over that Olivia was “a girl just like you.”

Gardella took time to mention the dangers of the drug Molly and she elaborated on how, “The name reminds people of a little girl, that’s harmless.”

“However,” she asserted, “it’s not harmless at all.”  Some effects of the drug are memory loss, chance of brain damage, and loss of muscular coordination.

The health classes were riveted by her presentation and asked many follow up questions.

Although her friend’s death was a tragedy that struck close to home for many people, a new, flourishing foundation came out of it. Olivia’s parents began the foundation “Liv for You”, a charitable organization in honor of the generous, fun-loving life that Olivia lived.

The foundation is based off of donations; just a few weeks ago the Liv for You foundation held a golf tournament and raised $30,000. The money raised goes to a scholarship that is given to an aspiring, motivated first year college student. Donations and more information can be found at livforyou.org.

In Gardella’s presentation she included this quote from Martin Luther King Jr: “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” Olivia Rotondo’s loved ones are not silent about the things that matter to them and Olivia’s legacy will live on for a long time.