Cammie McGovern addresses students about her writing

Riya Pujari, Staff Writer

Author Cammie McGovern conversed with students about her new novel, Say What You Will. Her arrival brought students from all grades to the black box and the library to discuss the book but also learn skills for their future writing.

“It’s my first young adult book. Also it’s my first love story, the others were more mysteries. Hopefully this one is complicated, real, but has a happy ending,” McGovern said.

McGovern’s new teen book focuses on two kids, Amy and Matthew, who have diagnosed disabilities. The two seek hope and love, which they find in each other.

“I wanted it to be realistic and to discuss kids with disabilities who wanted relationships and their own sexual identity,” McGovern said.

McGovern’s writing style can be compared to other authors like John Green and Rainbow Rowell, very realistic, but often times sad and frustrating.

“Realistic [her writing style] and hopefully light so it’s not too heavy even though there are complex issues involved.” McGovern said about her novel.

Students who attended her lecture included sophomore Eileen Wen. She listened attentively as McGovern spoke about her new novel.

“I liked the ending. All of the book is really realistic and relates to everyday stuff. If you liked Eleanor and Park or The Fault in Our Stars, you will like this book.” Wen said.

Not only did McGovern discuss her book, but she also spoke about certain techniques that may assist students in their own writing.

“Let yourself write a horrible rough draft,” she said. “It’s all about cutting, cutting, cutting, and picking out the best material.”

She even advised young writers to read as much as they can outside of their assigned work, to find an author they really like, and to keep a journal of all their ideas no matter how fleeting.

Also as November comes around the corner McGovern brought up NaNoWriMo, a worldwide event that allows writers of all ages to write a novel in only one month. They can track their progress, earn badges, and even have their novel published.

Falling into Place by Amy Zhang was part of NaNoWriMo and she got her book published. I’m doing a reading with her later today in Wellesley.” McGovern said.

Many students have participated in the National Novel Writing Month, including some from this school. One student, Katie Seavey, wrote her first novel for NaNoWriMo sophomore year.

“My novel was about a girl whose mom died in the 9/11 plane crash. She was left with only her brother and drug addicted father. The book was about her struggles.” Seavey said.

Seavey followed one of McGovern’s advices by making her story line unique and different.

Student writers that attended McGovern’s presentation can take away that individuality is more important than normality. Students should always attempt to write things outside of the box and against what most people think. Though the topic may be controversial it will ultimately be successful.