Melican temporarily moves to remote model

Annabella Ferraiuolo

Social distancing signs have been used throughout the district encouraging students to social distance like this sign outside the library on a D100 locker. Despite these initiatives, the district has reported its first in-school transmission

Ben Schanzer, Assistant Sports Editor

Melican Middle School will be moving to a remote learning model until Dec. 3 due to a potential in-school transmission of COVID-19.

Superintendent Greg Martineau sent an email to Melican families on Nov. 29 announcing that the hybrid learning model will resume on Dec. 4.

“Working in collaboration with the Board of Health and [the district’s] Nurse Leadership Team, it has been determined that one of these cases was a close contact with an individual who tested positive on Thursday, November 19, 2020,” Martineau said in his email. “Therefore, it is likely a case of in-school transmission.” 

Martineau believes that in-person learning is extremely important for students, but the district must follow certain guidelines.

“The district believes that there is no replacement for in-person learning and the connections between students and their teachers and peers,” Martineau said in his email. “Following the district protocol for when the possibility of in-school transmission is identified, a shift in learning models is required.”

The email did not include specific information about how or when the transmission occurred.

There has been no reported in-school transmission at Algonquin, nor anywhere else in the district, to date.