Success on the field

Stephanie McGovern, Staff Writer

The football team won their opening home game on Dick Walsh Field as hundreds of students gathered to see their team dominate against North Middlesex, on Friday, September 26.

The team is now 1-2 after defeating North Middlesex.

“The game was intense and we played our hearts out. Everyday we work harder and harder at practice for these games and being a senior on the team and having success is one of the greatest feelings and I hope the success continues,” senior Trevor Fuce said.

In the first half of the game Fuce tackled the quarterback as the Tomahawks held down North Middlesex for four downs.

Senior Sean Boullianne had two consecutive touchdowns with senior Eric Hart getting the extra points.

Junior Billy Polymeros had the final touchdown of the game in the fourth quarter.

Towards the end of the game senior, Kyle Hill had a huge play when North Middlesex’s quarterback was running towards the end zone at the five yard line and Hill hit him out of bounds ending the game 21-19.

According to Athletic Director Karrah Ellis, the fan section consisted of a record breaking 700 students who cheered for the full four quarters.

“The football players and coaches have gotten back to us saying that out chants and cheering helped lift them to the huge win,” senior Matt Tozeski said.

Three senior class members, Tyler Hatton, Tozeski and Sam Factor hosted the tailgate that took place in the back lot before the game.

“I thought the tailgate was an overwhelming success. The amount of participation from kids who helped us out and everyone who came was awesome,” Hatton said.

Algonquin’s coaching staff includes, Justin McKay, Mark Allen, Taylor Allen, Jeff Dunn, Andrew Brooks, Brian Keville, Tyrone Notice, and James Finn who all helped lead their team to victory.

The victory was an overwhelming success as students rushed the field to immediately congratulate the football players on their outstanding performance.

The Tomahawks play next at Tantasqua Thursday, October 2, and at Homecoming against Groton-Dunstable on October 10.