Stumbling into the gallery: Becoming public relations

Cecelia Cappello

Cindy Kennelly dropped off a lot of her artwork to be shared at the show. Some were framed landscapes and portraits (featured) and others were felted objects (not pictured. We laid the works on the floor, as we waited for artists to come pick up their art from the previous gallery.

Cecelia Cappello, Social Media Editor

Well, I have officially taken on the role of Public Relations! Now the pressure is on to get all possible foot traffic in our gallery. I am a bit worried, not going to lie. If you look at our Instagram, @Galleryoftheboroughs, we have 100 followers compared to the 350 people we follow. I honestly think when people hear the word “gallery”, they mentally leave the conversation. It is sadly the harsh truth. With this mentality, I want to adapt the Algonquin community to hear the word “gallery” and become excited. Imagine, students getting excited about the artwork in the gallery and attending the reception for the show. Also, we had been planning the next gallery, but due to Covid-19, we will be unable to do so until school re-opens.

The first goal this week was to create colorful posters that screamed “come to the gallery” without being too abrasive. I mentioned the Instagram username and where students can find the gallery (room C211), which hopefully, just maybe, sparks their interest. Along with creating new posters, I also was in charge of the Instagram. Mrs. DeCiero runs the Instagram on her phone, which is understandable due to the fact that sometimes the class doesn’t run, but she agrees that she could use a Gen Z on the Instagram.

Eve, my partner in case you missed it in the last post, was in charge of following students from school. With this technique, we hoped to gain a bit of a following, which has shown to be true. We have gone from 94 followers to almost 130 in under a week! That’s pretty incredible. Unfortunately, we have also followed up to 300 people, but Mrs. DeCiero suggested that we unfollow them in a few weeks, so I deeply apologize if you’re reading this and recently lost a follower. No hard feelings. 

My job involved producing content on the stories and on our feed, which is my favorite part about being in charge of Public Relations. For example, during our double period, we received our first artwork for the next gallery. I immediately took pictures of some of the pieces and posted them to Instagram for an exclusive look at what’s coming. This specific artist, Cindy Kennelly, uses felt to create artworks. One of them that she shared with us was a portrait of Tom Brady. I featured this specific portrait all over Instagram to hopefully grab the attention of our followers, especially the new ones. Incorporating someone who is known as the “GOAT,” Greatest of all Time, to most students at Algonquin is just one other way to attract more foot traffic. 

Last on our list, Eve and I wanted to plan for the future. We are still working at gaining more followers on Instagram, but we still want to be producing content for our current followers. I am really excited for what’s to come. If you are a follower, you can expect to get an inside look at our gallery while it’s in the process of being curated. You will also get a look at what other students are doing in class, because there is so much more than just Public Relations.

See you soon! 

P.S. The artwork from the Alumni Show has been taken down and the new artwork has been delivered. Follow our Instagram @galleryoftheboroughs to find out what we will be doing to promote our gallery online.