Administration holds meetings to inform students about recent threats

Jonny Ratner

Principal Dr. Sara Pragluski Walsh speaks to juniors and seniors about the recent threatening statements in the second of two meetings held on Dec. 9.

All students were pulled out of their period two class on Monday, Dec. 9 for meetings in the auditorium regarding the multiple statements threatening violence against the school in the last three weeks, which, according to Northborough Police Department Lieutenant Joe Galvin, included a bomb hoax and malicious destruction of property.

According to emails sent from superintendent Greg Martineau, threatening statements were found written on bathroom walls on Dec. 5, Dec. 6 and Dec. 9. The Northborough Police Department (NPD) was immediately contacted and began an investigation. All threats have been determined not to be credible by the NPD. 

The administration was also notified of a threatening statement on Nov. 20, which was determined to be a prank based on police investigation.

At the meeting, assistant principals Andrew McGowan and Tim McDonald, Galvin, school resource officer Kevin Fruwirth, head of guidance Lisa Connery and principal Dr. Sara Pragulski Walsh spoke to the student body, assuring them that the school is safe and urging them to talk to a trusted adult if they had any information concerning the threats.

“This is a safe school, and we all have a part in making it that way,” McGowan said at the meeting.

The NPD is currently conducting a forensic investigation in collaboration with the administration to identify who is responsible for the threats.

On Dec. 6 and Dec. 9, there was an increased police presence in the school in response to the threats. There will also be an increased police presence on Dec. 10. The police officers are there to make sure that students feel “comfortable and safe,” Galvin said at the meeting.

Galvin, Fruwirth and Walsh explained that whoever is responsible for the threats could potentially face felony charges. 

All of the speakers emphasized that students should come forward if they have pertinent information.

“Each and every one of us has a responsibility to positively impact our community,” Connery said at the meeting. “…If you hear something concerning, it’s important that you reach out.”