A guide to exercising during class

Jenny Lambert and Karthik Yalala

Students are busy. Every day, we wake up early in the morning to go to school for six and a half hours. Many of us stay after school for extracurricular clubs and activities, which leaves us with very little time to exercise. How could we possibly have enough time to stay in shape? Easy: we can multitask in class! Although you might think you don’t have enough time to exercise, the following are a few exercises you can do every day in class to stay active:

Assistant Sports Editor Karthik Yalala demonstrates how to do a bicep curl with his backpack.

1. Bicep curls with your backpack

The “freshman backpack” is a common trend for many high school students. Oftentimes, students complain about how their backpack’s weight is causing them back pain. Why not use your heavy backpack to its advantage? Hold your backpack by its handle and do some bicep curls while sitting in class!

Sports Editor Jenny Lambert demonstrates how to do a leg lift while sitting in a desk.

2. Leg lifts

If you’re feeling angsty during a long lesson in class, try some leg lifts! While sitting in your chair, stick your leg straight out in front of you and hold for two seconds. Then, slowly lower your leg until it is slightly above the ground, then quickly raise it up again. Repeat this as many times as you’d like on each leg. Now you can entertain yourself in class while strengthening your legs!

Sports Editor Jenny Lambert demonstrates how to do a calf raise using Algonquin’s stairways.

3. Calf raises in between classes

If you have a little extra time in between classes, try calf raises on the stairs! Stand at the bottom step of the staircase with your heels hanging over the edge and your weight on your toes. Then, quickly raise onto your tiptoes, and slowly lower yourself back down to flat-footed. If you’re feeling more advanced, you can try the same process without the stairs, just make sure to keep your weight on your toes. Repeat this as many times as you’d like.

Sports Editor Jenny Lambert and Assistant Sports Editor Karthik Yalala perform wall sits while reading their notes.

4. Wall sits

A classic– lean against the wall and slide down until your legs are bent at a right angle. Hold this position for 30 seconds and repeat this a few times. If you want to challenge yourself, even more, try holding a backpack or some textbooks in your lap while doing them.

Assistant Sports Editor Karthik Yalala uses a teacher’s chair to perform a tricep dip.

5. Tricep dips with a chair

Trying to get huge arms? Try tricep dips! Find a stable chair and support yourself with only your palms on the chair and feet on the ground. Lower yourself by bending your arms at a 90-degree angle and repeat this 10-15 times.  

Assistant Sports Editor Karthik Yalala does squats, using his backpack as a weight to increase intensity.

6. Squats with a backpack

Don’t worry if you forget about leg day, because you can do squats in class! Add a couple of textbooks to your backpack, wear it and squat. Slowly lower your body as if you are sitting in a chair, and quickly stand back up. Repeat as many times you feel comfortable. Remember to have proper form as you can hurt your back doing squats.