Doherty strengthens baseball team as he steps up from assistant to head coach

Jonny Ratner

As the inning closes in the game against Marlborough on April 29, new baseball varsity coach Brian Doherty looks back to praise one of his players.

Liza Armstrong, Online Editor

After failing to qualify for playoffs for the first time in 11 seasons last year, the baseball team looks to bounce back this season with a new head coach and a fairly young team.

Head coach Brian Doherty was bumped up from his position as an assistant coach when the previous coach Mike Mocerino became athletic director.

According to Doherty, the biggest change was having to oversee the JV one and two teams in addition to the varsity team.  

In addition to a new coach, the team lost 11 seniors, but four key starters returned:sophomore Sam Hill, junior Ryan Risedorf and senior captains Owen Coderre and Ben Poon.  

“Sophomore Sam Hill has really stepped up as a pitcher this year which was a role he didn’t play much last year,” Coderre said.

According to Doherty, the team has “a good core of kids, really good core.”

Captain Sam Forbush believes that if the team can work out a few kinks in their hitting, they will be playoff contenders.

“The main issue is our approaches at the plate,” Forbush said.  “Sometimes we have been trying to do too much with the ball or swinging at bad pitches with guys in scoring position.”

After missing playoffs last season, the team is working hard to bounce back.

“Last year was tough, we finished 8-12, and you gotta have at least 10 games to get [to playoffs],” Doherty said. “So these guys are motivated.”

Overall, the team has found chemistry with their new coach and players that they hope will last them well into the postseason.

“So far the dynamic has been great,” Forbush said.  “[Doherty]’s really emphasized the simplicity of the game and how everyone has important roles.  He understands the importance of effort and attitude and how that can better us both as a team and individuals.”