Girls’ tennis dominates, boys’ tennis falls short in first game of season

Connor Lawless

Senior Mia Barletta falls short in her match against Nashoba on April 24.

Katrina Liu, Opinion Editor

The girls’ and boys’ tennis team started off their seasons with a 3-2 win against AMSA and a 1-4 loss against Dover-Sherborn respectively on April 13.

Freshman Olivia Almy played a huge part in the girls’ win against AMSA, as her match was the deciding point. All her other teammates’ matches had finished and the score was at 2-2. The key to her success is understanding that competing is just for fun, and that nerves are unnecessary.

“When being put in nerve-wracking scenarios, it really helps hearing my team on the sideline eating and having a good time no matter how the matches are going,” Almy said. “It helps me realize it’s all for fun.”

Senior captain Elaine Cho believes that the talent and experience of both new and old players will contribute to a successful run for the rest of their season.

“[Almy] brings a lot of new talent to the team which is going to help us going forward,” Cho said. “Additionally, the upperclassmen have all been playing together for the past four years so having that experience is super valuable.”

Despite the rough start to their season, the boys remain optimistic and are confident the skill level of their team will develop, producing more wins in the future.

“Once we get the doubles guys [sophomore Curran Moholkar and freshman Ethan Zhang] to develop and refine their doubles game, we should have really strong depth and still be able to win at first and second [doubles] a ton,” senior captain Christian Jorgensen said.

Senior Andy Zhao is excited to relish in his last season and encourage his younger teammates throughout the season.

“With it being my senior year, I’m excited to finally be in a position to give back to the team and hope to give the underclassmen the amazing experience that I had when I was in their shoes,” Zhao said.

Both teams have high hopes looking towards the rest of their seasons.

“For myself, my goals are to be able to play with confidence and keep the team motivated while also pushing them hard,” Jorgensen said.

“A big goal [for the girls’ team] would be to win CMASS,” Cho said. “It’s something that we’ve wanted to do for the past few years and I think this year we have a really good shot.”

Both the girls’ and boys’ teams meet rival Shrewsbury on May 3.