Special education administrator leaves post

Special+Education+Administrator+for+Programs+and+Services+Andrea+Cameron%27s+old+office+now+stands+vacant+as+the+interview+process+progresses.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Special Education Administrator for Programs and Services Andrea Cameron's old office now stands vacant as the interview process progresses.

Connor Lawless

Connor Lawless

Connor Lawless

Gabriela Paz-Soldan and Catherine Hayden

Special Education Administrator for Programs and Services Andrea Cameron left her position on March 8 after submitting her letter of resignation on February 25.

Cameron, hired at the beginning of the school year, oversaw the entire special education department, which encompasses the 14 percent of Algonquin students who have disabilities and is comprised of 62 staff members. According to Principal Dr. Sara Pragluski Walsh, Cameron’s departure will cause the department’s workload to shift but will not affect student services.

“I think whenever an effective administrator moves on, it creates a large-scale impact, and change is always difficult,” Walsh said. “As she leaves, the work has to continue even through a transition process. The most important part of this is that as the work continues we maintain student services.”

Walsh is confident that the administration will be able to handle the change.

“What is wonderful about Algonquin is that we do work collaboratively and try to support each other,” Walsh said. “Our administrative team is extremely supportive and will fill in at any level to help.”

A formal interview process will be held in the spring for Cameron’s replacement. According to Walsh, Dianna Peterson will be stepping in a few days a week to help the department until then.

Cameron’s main responsibilities included coordinating the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) process and the department’s various programs.

Coordinating the IEP process is no small task, according to Department Chair of Special Education and Instructional Support Felicia Rutigliano.

“The laws are extensive, and we have to have our IEPs read by someone so that they can make sure that they’re accurate,” Rutigliano said.

Despite the magnitude of her work, the timing of Cameron’s resignation does not add difficulty to the transition.

“When you leave in March, the school community through communication is more quickly impacted…,” Walsh said. “However, student support services are a year-round service, so it doesn’t matter when you look at the workload whether she left in the summer or in the school year. She has student team meetings 365 days of the year.”

According to Walsh, the school will be losing a dedicated and effective administrator.

“[Cameron] proactively plans, communicates in many ways, is always there if a family needs her, provides very clear expectations and, most importantly, she loves what she does,” Walsh said. “She truly loves her work.”

Cameron declined to be interviewed for this article. The Harbinger has made a public record request for a copy of her letter of resignation, but as of March 12, the request has not processed.

About the Contributors
Gabriela Paz-Soldan, Editor-in-Chief

Gabriela started writing for the Harbinger at the beginning of her sophomore year through Journalism class. She is currently online editor.

Catherine Hayden, Editor-in-Chief

Catherine began writing for The Harbinger sophomore year during journalism class. Besides The Harbinger, she also does robotics and speech and debate....

Connor Lawless, Photo Editor

My name is Connor Lawless, and I am a senior here at Algonquin and a photography editor for the Harbinger. I first got involved with the paper my junior...