Phones create distractions for students in classroom setting

Back to Article
Back to Article

While technology has many benefits, phones create a constant distraction for students and prevent interaction between peers.

Graphic Sophia Walker

Graphic Sophia Walker

Graphic Sophia Walker

Annabella Ferraiuolo, Assistant A&E Editor

As class drags on, I glance around the room attempting not to fall asleep. I notice my classmates’ faces illuminated by their phone screens. My lecturing teacher ignores the students on their phones as if they don’t exist.

As I struggle to pay attention, I begin to wonder, why should I pay attention when no one else is? All of the information will be on Canvas tonight, no big deal! I decide to take my phone out and start playing GamePigeon with my friends.

That night, I check Canvas for the homework. I see the words “Chapter test tomorrow” displayed next to three classes. As I begin to regret not paying attention in class, anxiety and fear fill me as I try to cram dozens of pages of information into my head.

After a year and a half in high school, I have begun to realize that my phone tends to keep me from focusing on important schoolwork and learning how to connect, understand and work with others.

Technology has many benefits. It gives us access to articles, photos, videos and other forms of information whenever we need it. However, most of this isn’t necessary for classroom learning unless the assignment involves writing or researching.

According to a 2014 survey by the PEW Research Center, 21 percent of adults ages 18 to 29 admit to using their phones to avoid participating in a group conversation and 26 percent admit to using their phones because they are uninterested in the group conversation.

Working together as a class or in groups and talking to each other benefits us by teaching us how to socially be successful. Even if you aren’t interested in a specific topic or are more introverted, you could learn something new and people will see you as a kinder person for listening to what they have to say. In the school setting, listening to your teachers and peers could help you understand what is going on and could help you be less stressed.

It might feel like a challenge, but we can all become better people by putting our phones away during class and when we are with friends. I guarantee that you will feel more relaxed, more aware and more comfortable with those around you.  

Choose to take a break from technology and pay attention to those around you. You won’t regret it.