Variety show dazzles audience with wide range of talents

Ben Weber, News Editor

Fifteen student acts performed at the Variety Show on February 7 in the auditorium, an annual fundraising talent competition hosted by the class of 2020.

The acts showcased many different talents, including songwriting, stand-up comedy and dance. Junior Meredith Lapidas won the talent contest and an $100 cash prize for her contortionism performance.

“I think this year has been our most variety,” English teacher and junior class adviser Emily Philbin said. “We had a ton of great singers, but we also had people who could play instruments and a contortionist who won, so I think it was cool to see so many different kids that I’ve never seen perform before to get up there.”

The event was hosted by applied arts and technology teacher Nicole Ruffo, who has hosted the event in prior years as well.

“Every year I’m amazed at the talent,” Ruffo said. “And this year, I’m even more amazed. The performers are good, kind and talented kids. What more could you ask for?”

At the end of the show, audience members were able to vote for the best act by scanning a QR code on the back of their program. Lapidas impressed the audience with her flexibility.

“I loved Meredith’s performance,” senior Veronika Jaster said. “I think it was horrifying, but really amazing at the same time.”

Lapidas developed her skills through years of experience with acrobatics and athletics.

“I’ve been a gymnast since I was four, a dancer for five years and I’ve had lots of contortion training,” Lapidas said.

Jaster played cello alongside junior violinist Grace Liu as they performed “Passacaglia for violin and cello” by Handel-Halvorsen.

“This is my first year doing [the Variety Show,] but it went very well,” Jaster said. “I enjoyed it a lot, especially watching other groups.”

Behind the scenes, junior class adviser and world languages teacher Angela Moll and Philbin organized the Variety Show and made sure everything ran smoothly, including gathering all the acts and reserving the auditorium.

“All props to the departments here at Algonquin because everyone has played a role in the success of these kids,” Ruffo said.