• March 26The Spring Choral Concert will take place on April 9 in the auditorium.

• March 26Unscheduled Night will take place on Thursday, April 11.

• March 26April break will begin on Monday, April 15 and conclude on Friday, April 19.

Gadbois celebrates CAP program graduation

Back to Article
Back to Article

Marie Gadbois and her proud parents, Karen and Charlie Gadbois, take a break from celebrating to pose for a picture. After over six years at Algonquin, Gadbois graduated on her 22nd birthday on January 17.

Photo Maggie Del Re

Photo Maggie Del Re

Photo Maggie Del Re

Maggie Del Re, Editor-in-Chief

Surrounded by friends and family, postgraduate Marie Gadbois celebrated her 22nd birthday and graduation from the special education department’s Community Access Program [CAP] on Thursday, January 17 in the cafeteria.

“A lot of people at Algonquin are going to miss her,” CAP teacher Caitlin Hynes said. “She made a lot of people smile every day. Everyone is happy because we know she’ll be happy, but it is hard to see her go.”

Hynes has taught Gadbois for nearly ten years. She has seen first-hand the positive impact Gadbois has had on the school during her time at Algonquin.

“In school, Marie has done Best Buddies, unified singing, unified track, unified basketball and she helped with the gymnastics team one year,” Hynes said. “Outside of school she does [an after school program called] Thrive, and she’s done gymnastics, dance and some Special Olympics sports.”

According to her parents, Karen and Charlie Gadbois, Marie Gadbois also participates in some women’s groups and youth groups. Her favorite activity of all is going to the beach, according to Charlie Godbois.

Although Gadbois is very busy with extracurriculars, her personality is what sticks out the most to the people who know her.

“She’s such a sunshine,” Best Buddies president and senior Hailey Lowe said. “She has the best smile and the best laugh.”

Gadbois said she was very excited to be celebrating her birthday and graduation with her teachers, friends and parents.

“You can just tell the amount of friends and companions she has here in school by how happy she is,” Charlie Gadbois said. “You can also tell that all of the adults here, the providers and even the janitorial staff just have such affection for her.”

After graduating, Marie Gadbois plans to attend a program in Ashland called Advocates where she will do volunteer work in the community and continue to learn life skills.

“We’re proud of her and how far she’s come in her time at Algonquin,” Karen Gadbois said. “We’re excited for her future and to see what the next chapter brings.”

“We’re not only proud of what she’s gotten out of Algonquin; we’re proud of what she’s leaving behind and her own legacy,” Charlie Gadbois said. “Just talking to a lot of the staff and people like that, I know she brightened up a lot of people’s days and brought perspective to the school. It’s heartwarming for us.”

About the Writer
Maggie Del Re, Editor-in-Chief

Maggie was unwillingly thrusted into journalism class freshman year due to a scheduling snafu. Already a passionate writer, she quickly fell in love with...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Gadbois celebrates CAP program graduation”

1. Mrs. Calcagni - E102 on January 18th, 2019 1:26 pm

Hi Maggie – I wanted to let you know what a great job you did presenting this article! Thank you!

Would it be possible for you to get a hard copy of this article and the picture so we can put this on our bulletin board in
    our room in E102!

Thank-you

2. Beth Mazzola on January 18th, 2019 5:49 pm

Maggie,

You did lovely job capturing this occasion and Marie’s spirit.

Thank You!
    Mrs. Mazzola

• Gadbois celebrates CAP program graduation

News

Filler fills auditorium for speech about avoiding dangerous situations

News

Inclusion assembly encourages students to branch out

News

Students offer mixed reactions to Google+ shut down

News

Deal or No Deal starts new tradition, sends senior home with $100

News

Special education administrator leaves post

News

Community helps reduce financial burden of prom

News

Dynamic DECA duo plans for ICDC domination

News

Paper piles up as recycling put on hold

News

Best Buddies hosts free coffeehouse to promote inclusion

News

Zhang connects with CEOs