Senior privilege policy too strict, brings stress to students

Dear Harbinger Editor,

I would like to call to attention the strictness of Algonquin’s senior privileges policy. Each day, fourth period, I sign out and leave during my study. Instead of starting senior year with our senior privileges, like many other high schools, a pile of forms is accumulated for us to fill out and with parking permits that need to be purchased for those who drive to school. This process took about three weeks to finish and after completing it, I felt as if it may not be entirely worth it.

As great as the break is in the middle of the day, there is often more stress about a small gold piece of paper and the rush to sign in. Students coming in from second or third period are eager to cut in front of whoever they can because signing in even one minute late can result in losing these privileges for up to seven days. A three day suspension of privileges is also given to those who lose or do not remember to turn in their pass.

Perhaps they should lighten up on this rule and allow students to sign in after the bell as long as they make it to their class on time. In order to get back into the school, we need to put in our student ID and sign in and out of the maroon office. There is no need for the gold pass in the first place, because the school has enough information throughout the sign-out process to know whether or not we are allowed to be out. Senior privileges are one of the few freedoms left at Algonquin, and we need to preserve them before they are taken away too. I understand that senior privileges are meant to be a privilege, but it doesn’t seem that way. Overall, we should be treated as the adults that we are about to become rather than the children that we once were.

Sincerely,
Shaye Mahoney

Class of 2019